NOR and 7 Days to Die

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire
Realm: RIFT

Re: NOR and 7 Days to Die

Post by Soulfinger »

Three of us were on the NOR server last night. Performance was generally good with a few hiccups every little while. Only one big burst of lag.

One thing I noticed (vs. the game settings I used) is that time passes quite slowly. I think we played for about 60-90 minutes (real time) and game time advanced maybe by 3 hours (daytime). Night took about 30 minutes or so to pass, which was a good amount of time. The 5 hours of real time for daylight makes it easy to run across the map to different areas and build, but it also means that (for most gamers hours?) night will only come once every 3 game-play days... It also means that characters need to consume more food as depletion rates seem tied to real-time rather than game time. (i.e. your hunger depletes every hour of playing time, so if a day last 1 hour you need to eat once a day; if a day lasts 3 hours then you need to eat 3 times a day).

The house is stocked with stuff. I was able to get a bunch more meat, and we looted some areas to the north.
SWTOR Republic - Poobah (60 Guardian), Fece (60 Scoundrel)
SWTOR Imperial - Soulfinger (60 Sorcerer), Solsismic (51 Powertech), Isith (50 Marauder), Sinet (20 Operative)

Free Tadziki? Yah! --Treek.
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
House: Griffon
Record: Recruited by Zyera
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

Awesome yeah the way RT has the server set up is with longer days and roughly like you said 30 minutes of night. The reason for this is so when you are travelling a VERY long distance sch as from one corner of the map to another while still gathering, you will need a lot of time or else it'll be night before you get half way done. Also partly RT haha he hates doing night time stuff so he made it like 20% or 15% of the amount of day time.

Plus I'm not really sure on the extent of the food and thirst bars but I do know they are mainly attached to your activities. Such as when I'm mining all day with the long day setting and what not I only have to re-eat and drink maybe once a day. If I spend the day running around, attacking zombies and looting it depletes quickly.

SWTOR - Witherbane Legacy
GW2 - Valikk.3810
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire

Post by Soulfinger »

I played the past 3 nights on the server (I think?) with 2-3 friends at a time (one constant being Nesrook). We've accumulated some more resources, grabbed some more weapons, built a forge, got clay for molds so we can start making our own ammo and hunted a bunch of game so that we have a surplus of food. It's now day 6 (I think late day - my buddy "Sister" has been building a wall around the base house so it might be later). So far, the game seems very easy. Probably too easy...

I think the main thing that makes it easy is the length of the day cycle. With the long day (probably about 4 hours of game time for day and 30 min for night) it's very easy to range far & wide to loot and harvest resources in relative safety. The big thing though is that the long time allows you to build up a reserve which you can't do with shorter days.

Example - on this server we have food for weeks, can make half a dozen fire-arms (rifles/pistols) and ammunition to put in them, and we know pretty much every recipe in the game. We haven't even got to the first day 7 yet, and our base was only attacked by a few (~10) zombies once (to my knowledge). Compared to the first game I played with Nesrook on my local server (60 minute days with 10 min nights) we have found maybe 3 recipe books, have no fire-arms, are still using basic clubs and are scrounging for food... And it's day 7... The shorter day makes it much more challenging from a resource perspective. Longer days allows you to build & develop more.

The other thing (reading reviews) that I was really worried about was the zombie dogs... We encountered a few dogs we couldn't get around last night, and one shot from my spiked club and it was down. I know they'd be dangerous if you went up against them without anything, but the ones on this server were not nearly as bad as I was lead to believe by the reviews (which is a good thing - I heard they were totally OP).

Last comment/question - is RT & Malykk playing on this server? Or are you still going on the direct connect game?
SWTOR Imperial - Soulfinger (60 Sorcerer), Solsismic (51 Powertech), Isith (50 Marauder), Sinet (20 Operative)

Valikk
Duke
Duke
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

Okay main things, first Yes we are, we we're playing on it last night.

Second, it's not the length of the day that makes it easy, it's the recent patch and anything past Version A10. Before this update there was A LOT of zombies and it did pose a challenge. Now it's kinda bugged to where the 7 day horde doesn't spawn, which is supposed to be MASSIVE and it was before A10. Each consecutive 7 days gets harder and larger to survive from.

The zombie dogs you hear people talk about are normally the 6 day dog horde, again every 6 days of a new week there is a large horde of dogs. This again is broken. Plus many people play with feral zombies and the hardest difficulty because of the bugs. Feral zombies run ugh.

GW2 - Valikk.3810
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

And plus you've been playing with two or more people which REAAALLY helps and makes it a lot easier to gather more faster.

I can see the shorter days making it easier but like I said with more people you can adventure further and gather more.

But we can always up the difficulty! :D

GW2 - Valikk.3810
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire

Post by Soulfinger »

Ah, ok. I was expecting a big hoard (say 20-30 zombies) on day 7. So I guess the idea is to build build until day 7 where it gets torn apart and then rebuild again? Having smaller attacks each day would be good.

Zombie Dogs - a pack would be more dangerous.... I find with 2-3 zombies, it's a piece of cake. As soon as there are 6+ then it gets real hard...

PS - I guess you guys go on later (after the SWTOR stop time?). You'll probably see some of our "improvements" - steel door and now a wall. I'm anxious to see what a day 7 looks like - hopefully we get something...

Soulfinger
Squire
Squire

Post by Soulfinger »

Looks like there may be a bug on the server. The firepit no longer cooks food - was working fine before, but now clicking the "cook" button does nothing. I also tried to use the forge and I think had the same problem... I haven't used a forge before and I don't see any "create" button, but I put the wood, lead & mold in and nothing happened (the wood also did't burn). I assume that the bug I saw with the campfire also applied to the forge... Both me & Loaf had the same issue with the firepit.

Valikk
Duke
Duke
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

Yeah RT is going to update the server and try to fix the problem hopefully it's not something that broke during the new realease!! D:

GW2 - Valikk.3810
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire

Post by Soulfinger »

Confession time.... I also got a server :oops

I wanted more of a challenge, so got one from Bluefang (right on the release of Ark, so it took them ages to provision). It's a small server (max 10 slots) but is running well.

The settings are very different - 40 minute days, 30% night which doesn't give a ton of time for scavenging and building. Zombie spawns are set to 125% and max zombies up to 80 (80 is the SP cap, so I figure a server can handle more since it's dedicated). We're on day 9 and it has been tough going. We have cleared out a house, but it's constantly under attack (two hoards in one night and smaller attacks 3 other nights - we've only been there 6 nights). Any direction you go you will find dozens of zombies.

It is challenging, but not overly so. We die frequently (the three of us average 2 deaths a day depending on how much risk we take) but even going into the forest to scavenge for wood and feathers you can run into a dozen zombies... Hunting food is especially difficult since game will often run into a zombie group...

We're still running a vanilla spawn file, but upgrading that to the "V9 hoard" is an option... Likely we will continue with this until A12 is released and then re-assess the difficulty.

If anyone wants to join just let me know. Unfortunately this is keeping me from SWTOR but I do try to pop in when I can.

Soulfinger
Squire
Squire

Post by Soulfinger »

Update on this - if you're looking for a challenge, my server is giving it in spades... We were using a prefab POI as a base, and it was safe until day 7 (only 1 small attack) but since then it was being attacked nightly/daily (usually a small one around midnight and a large attack around 6 AM). We've moved on from there to a new fortified base, but it is still seeing nightly attacks (some of which we avoid by hiding if our ammo is low).

POIs are "guarded" usually by 1-2 dozen zombies. We went into the main city (Deersville) last night, killed 3 zombies on the way in, looted 1 house and was in the process of looting a garage when we were attacked by a LOT of zombies. Not sure how many there were but I think I took down two dozen on my own (plus 2 dogs) and they kept coming. With ammo running low we had to retreat.

Ammo is a struggle (not enough feathers, only had 1 working gun which was lost due to a backpack falling after death) but food is not much of a problem since we don't last long enough for starvation to set in.

Server details are:
Server Name: Crapgame
Server IP: Server IP/Port: 45.58.116.2:26441
Password: Oddball
Settings are PvE.

Send me a PM if you do decide to join.

Return to “General”