[7D2D] Progress report

Open discussion for members and visitors.
max2go
Recruit
Location: Steam (lol... but that's just the best way to reach me): max2go (USA)

Re: [7D2D] Progress report

Post by max2go »

Interesting... I just saw your post actually, a week after you had posted it. I haven't been on this 7D2D in a while because I've been on there a lot before and hardly anyone is ever on. I got eventually bored just being by myself and I checked out several 7D servers via the server browser and I found one that had a higher population of players. They eventually told me though that they're getting bored because 7D has quite a quick progression curve if you can be on for several hours every day, and most of them have already maxed out their character and so the server owner announced he's going to wipe the server, which resets the map and all the characters... which is terrible for those who just joined and worked hard to get where they're now at.

This was on Saturday (it's Monday now) and the other survival game I've been talking about and like a lot, ARK, was on sale, so everyone got a copy of it and the owner of the 7D server set up an ARK server. It was tough and super frustrating initially as we've been getting killed off over and over again pretty much right at the start and it's so realistic that, although you have a map that is initially blank but get filled out as you walk around and discover the area, has only longitude and latitude markers on the sides with a pin showing your approximate location (that map shows the whole location with no zoom-in/out functionality and it's shown in your characters hand, with the FPS view in the background and you can still move around). So, we had trouble finding each other but eventually we were able to.

Anyhow, I don't want to make this an ARK report, I'm just telling you guys what's been going on and why. I'm currently still a lot in ARK but when you, Soulfinger, or anyone else on here is on 7D, just send me a message via Steam and I'll hop on if I can at that time.

A few things I found out while being on their 7D server though:

1. The less people are on, the more zombies will come after you (normal horde spawns and 7D spawns) and your base... I've been dying on this 7D server almost 50 times (or maybe even more often) with most of the time only me being on... I thought that was just because I'm just bad at this but now I know that's not what it is, in fact I died only three times on the other 7D server with all those people on and that was only because some guy blew me up with a land mine by accident and then successively because it was night time when I spawned and the zombies ran after me and got me twice in a row.

Something else I learned was how to build an underground base without any zombies being able to get in or even aggro it - the trick is to first of all be nearby other player owned bases, and secondly to have a "mound" around the entrance (hatch) at the top and where it's very difficult to jump onto (I can from only one direction) and then digging straight down from there for quite a bit, before going diagonally or horizontally, and ideally only once you are a bit though rock.

I've also given up on spikes at the top, they're just a nuisance to maintain and as such a resource waster. It also doesn't seem to be necessary, considering that no zombies trying to even get in there at all. I also read somewhere that a hatch or door is what attracts zombies, so not having one at all (if you trust the people on the server) then that's an option.

I also learned that, instead of hunting (and not finding) a "set in concrete" book, it's better (at least until stumbling across that book by accident) to build cobblestone frames (which is just some wood planks and plant fiber) and then fill that with cobblestones (which is just small stones and clay, about three to one stones/clay ratio), which has the same pur-dur(ability) as concrete, which is 160 - pur-dur means "how many times a regular Zombie like the Infected Survivor may punch a block before breaking it". So, that's pretty awesome. Their benefit also is that they're very fast to craft and quick and easy to repair. Reinforcing the entrance and shaft down to the base and base itself with three blocks in thickness will easily get you through a night, if a 7D horde attacks you then.

Some other trick I've seen is to build either in a lake or just dig a ditch around your place (if you prefer to be above ground) and fill that with water (requires the metal bucket though).
max2go
Recruit
Location: Steam (lol... but that's just the best way to reach me): max2go (USA)

Post by max2go »

(I posted by accident twice and replaced this second post with this text, I can't seem to find a way to delete this post though...)
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire
Realm: RIFT

Post by Soulfinger »

Thanks for the update. I haven't been on much for a couple of reasons. First, I got an itch to play a 4X space game so have been trying to make it through a game of Endless Space (very steep learning curve). Second, I've been busy at work so some nights I just veg, and 7DtD takes more attention than I can give. Third, one of the people I play with regularly was travelling so I was waiting a bit for him to get back. Regardless of all that, we only have a few hours a night to game, so development is way slower for us (we play from 8-10 EST usually, about 3-4 nights a week so yes, not only are you often going to be the only one on (even when we are in "regular play mode") but you'll also progress way faster than us.

As to your comments... The big difference between cobblestone and concrete is that concrete can be upgraded, so Z's have to go through the various upgrade layers. Cobblestone is durable, but once it's bashed through, it's gone and there is no sub-layer that Z's have to bash through.

For hoard attacks, you are also correct - they target the player on the server. If multiple players are on (e.g. you at your base, and me at the gas station) the hoard will go to the "hottest" area - likely your base if you had a forge running, but if you were just hanging out (because you got everything already) and I was cooking food at mine, then mine may be the hottest base.
SWTOR Republic - Poobah (60 Guardian), Fece (60 Scoundrel)
SWTOR Imperial - Soulfinger (60 Sorcerer), Solsismic (51 Powertech), Isith (50 Marauder), Sinet (20 Operative)

Free Tadziki? Yah! --Treek.

Return to “General”