War Thunder

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Tyrandil
Count
Count
Realm: Guild Wars 2

War Thunder

Post by Tyrandil »

Hail *NOR/

I've been playing War Thunder for the past month and a half, and I'm really enjoying it. If any of you also play War Thunder, or are interested in trying it out, let me know and I would be happy to organize play together.

What is War Thunder? It's a free-to-play 3D air combat game set primarily during World War II. You pick a nation (USA, Britain, USSR, Germany, or Japan) and hop into a big 8-on-8 (or up to 16-on-16) air battle against other players. As you play, you earn in-game currency and XP that allows you to gradually unlock more and better planes. You start out flying biplanes, graduate after a few hours to early war fighters like the P-40, Spitfire Mk. I, and Bf-109, and eventually move on to Korean War-era jet aircraft like the F-86 Sabre. (There are also big bombers like the B-17, if that's more your style.) If you've heard of World of Tanks, it's like that, but with fighter planes. (Although War Thunder lets you play with tanks, too, though that's not my cup of tea.)

After playing War Thunder pretty constantly for six weeks, I can say that:
  • It is genuinely free to play. I haven't spent a cent on it so far, and I don't foresee ever having to. Spending money is primarily for people who are impatient about unlocking the more advanced aircraft. (Paying for a premium account - essentially a monthly subscription - speeds up the rate at which you earn in-game currency and XP.)
  • It is (for the most part) not pay-to-win. You can achieve a slight advantage by paying for premium aircraft, but it's not insurmountable. Free aircraft earned in-game can be upgraded to the same power level in a reasonable amount of time using only XP earned in-game.
  • It is easily controllable with only a mouse and keyboard. You do not need a joystick or other expensive peripherals. (But if you have them, they will obviously work well.)
  • It's a hell of a lot of fun.
If there is enough interest among NOR members in playing War Thunder together, I can start an in-game "squadron" (their term for a guild or guild branch) so that NOR members can identify as NOR members while playing.

I'm in-game as The_Gray_Weasel. Hope to see some of you in there!

Cheers,
Count Tyrandil of Neverwinter
I'm always down for a dungeon!

Return to “General”