Dungeons & Dragons

Open discussion for members and visitors.
CrazyChipmunk
Squire
Squire
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV

Dungeons & Dragons

Post by CrazyChipmunk »

HAIL NOR!

Ok, that's out of the way. I am considering trying one of the D&D games, either Dungeons and Dragons Online or Neverwinter. I'm looking for suggestions on which I should choose. Right now I'm leaning more towards Neverwinter since its F2P. But to help you I will provide some information about me.

I've never fought a dragon in real life. Seriously. But I am an old school DnD player from way back when. I've since been playing Guild Wars, first 1 and now 2, for around 9 years. I like the sword & sorcery aspect of it. I don't PVP. Period. I like all different classes. If I weren't cheap I would be playing WoW but the idea of paying them to play each month isn't something I can accept. Plus my account got continuously hacked when I did play WoW, but that is neither here nor there. I tried Elder Scrolls and it just didn't work for me. It may have had something to do with all the mods, not that I had to use them, but I'm not sure. I look at these games as an escape. I'm married with 3 kids and way too many medical problems. I'm retired from the Navy, so if I ever come across a bit odd or weird that may be it. Of course it could also be the fact I am just odd and weird.

I know I didn't give you much but hopefully you can give me some pros and cons. Thanks.

ian
Kermit
Count
Count
Realm: Guild Wars 2

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

Post by Kermit »

CrazyChipmunk wrote:HAIL NOR!

Ok, that's out of the way. I am considering trying one of the D&D games, either Dungeons and Dragons Online or Neverwinter. I'm looking for suggestions on which I should choose. Right now I'm leaning more towards Neverwinter since its F2P. But to help you I will provide some information about me.

I've never fought a dragon in real life. Seriously. But I am an old school DnD player from way back when. I've since been playing Guild Wars, first 1 and now 2, for around 9 years. I like the sword & sorcery aspect of it. I don't PVP. Period. I like all different classes. If I weren't cheap I would be playing WoW but the idea of paying them to play each month isn't something I can accept. Plus my account got continuously hacked when I did play WoW, but that is neither here nor there. I tried Elder Scrolls and it just didn't work for me. It may have had something to do with all the mods, not that I had to use them, but I'm not sure. I look at these games as an escape. I'm married with 3 kids and way too many medical problems. I'm retired from the Navy, so if I ever come across a bit odd or weird that may be it. Of course it could also be the fact I am just odd and weird.

I know I didn't give you much but hopefully you can give me some pros and cons. Thanks.

ian
never played DDO, but old school D&D table top who now is in NW:
It's a great free MMORP. The "behind the scene" is based on D&D and has Forgotten Realms lore aspect, but it's about as far as it go. Combat has been made to be fast pace which is great. It's not a point and click like Diablo, and not as crazy powers to handle as WoW, it's a fair in between.

It can be easily soloed from 0-70 in a few weeks, so it's great to pop on when you want, social with the guild while you follow the great quest line.

70 turns into a new type of grind: equipment to run higher requirement dungeon. So you your way up dungeons. I think 4-5months would unlock all dungeon to a state where it's "medium done" but takes months overall to max out a character (and a new MOD with new content is about to come out).

This is done with grouping with the guild, so great interaction again (of if you want you can go random). Our guild is well established, so we have strong players that can help with any content all the time.

Finally although PvP is in the game, few of us ever queue for PvP battleground, it's not required for any content, and it's actually a broken mechanic of the game anyway.

All of this is free, could be fairly time consuming if you want to be decked out, but to reach a medium level where you can log, run content with friends, and guildies and run event is not that bad and can be done without impacting personal life. Now if you're willing to pay it speeds up the rest.

Finally, throughout all of this you also acquire in game currency, which you can exchange for ZEN (the $ currency) and buy items that way as well... so spending a dime is never required.

Hope I convinced you!
CrazyChipmunk
Squire
Squire
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV

Post by CrazyChipmunk »

Sounds good. I just did some reading up on DDO and it just doesn't feel like a good fit for me.

Your description of NW, though, that sounds like more my speed. I'll give it some more thought but, right now, it sounds like I'll be taking the plunge. Thanks.
Kermit
Count
Count

Post by Kermit »

oh and cookies, I give free cookies
Kermit
Count
Count

Post by Kermit »

CrazyChipmunk wrote:Sounds good. I just did some reading up on DDO and it just doesn't feel like a good fit for me.

Your description of NW, though, that sounds like more my speed. I'll give it some more thought but, right now, it sounds like I'll be taking the plunge. Thanks.
awesome! let us know when you create your account, it will use the format ***charactername@handle****.If you send any NW officer (or post on the boards your @handle we can send you a guild invite. /g to chat
bluebutton
Baroness
Baroness

Post by bluebutton »

Yes, yes, what Kermit said!

Lately, we've gotten a few NORbies into NW (Llira, Garadian, etc.) and it's fun to have people who are already NOR with us in NW.
*NOR/ BA-NW

Neverwinter--@abluebutton
Main: Krimsn (OP healer)
Alts: Kriket (GWF), Krifin (GF)
Mules: Krindl (SW), Kriplr (TR)

Guild Wars 2--bluebutton.1475
Onyx Ofnor
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Record: Recruited 6/12/2013
Squired 7/22/2013
Promoted to Baroness 10/1/2013
Promoted to Countess 2/27/2014
Promoted to Duchess 1/22/2016

Post by Phelaia »

Everything Kermit said is true. We have a fair number of people in our branch who literally play for free, and they enjoy themselves. The best part about it is that you can enjoy this game in bite-sized pieces if you want.

One tip: playing tank or healer is a lot cheaper than playing DPS. ;-)

I hope to see you in NW soon!
Phelaia Fiendline
The original Burninator in Neverwinter

Return to “General”