Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

FBI and what we learned

Post by tornnomar »

Hail NOR*/!

Okay, now for the fun:)

Fangbreaker Island isn't a joke. On 5/13/17 Ziek, Udo, and I (on Tanith) kidnapped two Alliance members and began this run. Inconnel and Tameika were there names.
Now if the name Inconnel sounds familiar its because at one time he was the GWF to be copied, around the time when Tia first was out.

FBI is all about the pulls and stopping the orcs from running back and grabbing the Giants. We did this a couple of times, but when we failed to do this, we felt the pain. The initial climb up the pass is BenGay worthy.
1st Boss is a high HP having slugfest. Avoid his splats and its over. Whether how fast is dependent on the DPS of your group
Then weirdly enough, the enemies seem to weaken a bit as you fend them off for Wulgar to melt some walls.

DRAGON TURTLE!:)

Yeah, here's where it gets crazy stoopid. You have to learn to anticipate and time his attacks, and you may as well figure your lag into that:)
If you see RED, don't wait, get out immediately! And he splats. No control resistance, dashes, rolls affect it. When it slam the ice, your going to take a hit.
We didnt get past the Dragon Turtle...on this run. But for a beginning run, I think it went very well as quite a bit was learned by Udo, Ziek, and myself.
The fact is we tried, and we need to continue to try until we have the run down.
And we can do it because we're NOR!

Thanks all,
Rain
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Realm: Guild Wars 2
Record: Recruited 6/12/2013
Squired 7/22/2013
Promoted to Baroness 10/1/2013
Promoted to Countess 2/27/2014
Promoted to Duchess 1/22/2016

Re: FBI and what we learned

Post by Phelaia »

Date: 1/27/2018
Team: Tyrandil (GF Tank), Hrothnor (GWF), Phelaia (Support DPS), Rain (Righteous DC with healing), Bluebutton (OP Heal)

Tyr and Phel were not exactly planning to run something hard. Then Blue and Hroth showed up. So Tyr, in a very Tyr kind of way said, "How about we go to FBI?" Blue has never been to FBI before, so this is the only way to learn, right? Well, away we went into the frozen wasteland.

Now the hills are alive with a lot of frost giants. Rain said the messenger orc needs to be stopped before he alerts the giants. So Tyr went TAB-marking the orc, thinking the orc would come. But no, that didn't work, and we alerted those frost giants 3 at a time...every time. Well, if there's anything Phel has learned in Overwatch, it's this: if you get mobbed, sometimes the best course of action is to go back down the hill and fight them at the choke. That worked, kind of. Considering that we climbed the hill the hard way, we did pretty well.

After we finally made it up the hill, it was time to face off with Hati the Manticore. Phel switched to MoF, but in hindsight, maybe she should have stayed as Spellstorm. This fight was long, but it progressed steadily. Unfortunately, Hroth--our main DPS--got blown off the cliff at 20%, but the rest of us soldiered on because we are NOR! Double unfortunately, at 2%, both Tyr and Phel got killed by completely unseen attacks, and the only ones left in the room were the two healers. Amazingly enough, Blue kept Rain alive, and the two healers finished off Hati.

By this time, 4 people out of 5 needed to head out for real life reasons, so we'll have to try another day. Let it be known that this day we made progress in a full NOR group!

:hailnor
Phelaia Fiendline
The original Burninator in Neverwinter
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
House: Griffon
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017

Post by tornnomar »

Hail *NOR/

It was a good run and a good experience. On Tanith, I've got FBI as a Random too many times to count. Some groups succeed, others get crushed. The hill climb, IMO, is the hardest part before the run settles down a bit.
We'll get it.
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Squired 7/22/2013

Post by Phelaia »

Date: 10/14/2018
Group: Ziek (GF), Phel (OP), FatherTyme (DC), Hrothnor (GWF), Elthorik (SW)

This run was not planned. Phel got on in the afternoon thinking just to do some weeklies. Then Hroth was on, then Ziek was on. Then FatherTyme suggested, "Let's go to Castle Ravenloft!" Phel got a bit nervous, having recently gotten her faced mashed into the ground by the Sisters of Fury in the courtyard of the castle. So Phel suggested, "How about Fangbreaker? NOR has not completed Fangbreaker." Ziek said he hates the place, but he's a great sport and was willing to tank for us. Elthorik spoke up and took the last spot on his warlock. Off we went to the frozen wasteland known as Fangbreaker Island with no trees in sight.

The hardest part of FBI is the hill climb in the beginning, because if you don't stop that orc messenger, then every frost giant on the hill comes breathing down your neck. Surprisingly, we had the DPS to burn down the orc, and it turned out to be a smoother climb up the hill than many of us have experienced in random pick up groups.

Hati was a cake walk. No one even half died. This was looking good.

Dragon Turtle time. This is was stopped NOR last time. 3 tries later, people were getting one-shotted by the explosive runes. At this point, Phel switched to Tank-Bubble-Paladin-with-Power-Share. The fight did not go any faster, but it was definitely safer for everyone. Hroth and Ziek were quite good at kicking those explosive runes at the turtle to make it surface. At the fourth try, we sent the turtle back into hiding.

At this point, we were already making history. A dozen waves of orcs and trolls later, we were staring at the last boss Drufi. She's reportedly quite tough not so much due to how hard she hits, but she's got several tricks up her sleeves. All of these tricks can one-shot any one of us, including the tanks. The one trick that really killed us was the one where one or two of us were encased in ice, and if the rest of the team does not free the trapped teammates in 5 seconds by hitting the ice, the ice would blow up and one-hit-kill the people trapped inside. Apparently, there's a full-room-attack named "Call of Winter" that would one-shot anyone not hiding behind an ice pillar, but we got her to about 50% at best and have not seen that attack yet. After about four rounds of dealing with her, Phel and FatherTyme needed to head out for real life reasons.

This has been a valuable learning process. It was exciting to finally run a hard dungeon with a full NOR group. Voice com would have been helpful for calling out the special attacks, but some people didn't have a mic so oh well. I look forward to trying this again with a NOR group, and in the mean time, I have some Youtube videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUTo7S9oa6w

Phelaia Fiendline
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Squired 7/22/2013

Post by Phelaia »

Date: 10/15/2018
Group: Ziek (GF), Nem (TR), Mezzevil (GWF), Phel (MOF CW), Nimblee (DC)

This group was even less planned than the one yesterday. Mezz wanted to do a random advanced que with NOR, and a full NOR group came together in less than 5 minutes. Just a milk run for easy AD, right? After the load screen, it was clear that we randomly walked into Fangbreaker Island. At least two of us LOL'ed at this turn of fate. Phel didn't even bring along her bonding stones for her companion, but now that we're all here, we're climbing that hill.

The hill climb was a little clunky at first, but after the first campfire, it became smoother than yesterday. This was looking good.

Hati went down without too much of a fight. This was looking better.

Dragon Turtle took 2 tries. At this point, Phel suggested that we all get on Discord. 4 out of 5 of us came on.

Once past the turtle, Nem took it upon himself to be the true Rogue that he is and stole all the keys while we distracted the giants. His sneaking was something to behold.

Now Drufi...with four out of five of us on Discord for this fight, things were a little easier than it was yesterday. The first three attempts were pretty rough, as we were still learning the rhythm of the fight and the tells of the boss. By about 75% during the fourth attempt, all of us have seen enough repetition of the special attacks. Ziek was calling out the ice pillars, the ice wind blowing, "the huddle," and the "Call of Winter." Whenever one of us was targeted, the targeted person called out for help, and everyone responded. Ziek's GF must minor in Dance, because he could nimbly tango with Drufi around the ice pillars while wearing platemail. Unfortunately at about 45%, we lost Mezz, and I could not figure out just how he died because he was doing everything right. No matter, we soldiered on. The fight was slow going, as we were down to Nem as our main DPS. By the last 25%, we got this down. At about 90 minutes after the random que dropped us into this frozen wasteland, Drufi screeched and went down like a giant heap. See screenshot for the giant heap.

It's been a long time since a full NOR completed an endgame dungeon. I am very proud of what we have accomplished. I wonder if the random que would stick us into Spellplague next time...

Attachments
NOR FBI Complete 2018-10-15.jpg
Phelaia Fiendline
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017

Post by tornnomar »

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

This is awesome! Great Job! (and proof that voice coms is extremely helpful)
Ziek88
Baron
Baron

Post by Ziek88 »

It was a great run. I think it is fair to say those of us that did it have a solid understanding of how it works now and could do it with far fewer issues down the road. I would definitely say comms for newcomers. Drufi has huge tells for what is coming but until you know them they are very unforgiving.

Related but not, I made a post about the modern purpose of guardian fighters with some notes about buffing, some of which may be of interest to DPS players planning a build. May be useful in going forward into harder dungeons and for smoothing out this one so more can run it. With just a little more practice I believe a strong core can take 1-2 new folks through FBI like we did with many dungeons before.

https://www.newoutriders.org/forums/vie ... 138&t=6726
Neverwinter: @zyek88
  • Guardian Fighter - Ziek
    Scourge Warlock - Zabbit
Discord: Ziek88#2954
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Squired 7/22/2013

Post by Phelaia »

About fighting Drufi...Aside from the lines she says before dropping a special attack, Cryptic has actually done a good job with the animation of her tells, especially with her arms and hands. Each one of her special attacks has a specific animation cycle...a little like in Final Fantasy. But, she's really tall, so if you're a GWF, you might not be able to see what she's doing. So pull the camera out to about 90 and have almost a top-down perspective, and you should be able to see her attacks better.
Phelaia Fiendline
Phelaia
Duchess
Duchess
Squired 7/22/2013

Post by Phelaia »

I've been repeated dropped into FBI in random advanced queue lately, and I have succeeded more than failed. I can now say that I can reliably heal/buff for this dungeon.
Phelaia Fiendline
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017

Post by tornnomar »

This is great! I normally throughout the week don't q for RAQ because of time constraints, I do RIQ's instead, but I'm getting super tired of Throne and Tia runs:)
Whats really sad is that my alts have completed FBI where as my main, poor John Rain has not:) Although I don't really consider Tanith an Alt anymore and now that we can Tag two mains in the character sheet, I have done so.

Also, everyone please keep in mind that they have given all existing characters before this mod a free respec with the patch!

Return to “Dungeons”