MMO's Dead ?

Hang out, talk, post whatever is on your mind.
Kaurix
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT

MMO's Dead ?

Post by Kaurix »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5Y36eSvA0

A video I came across that had some interesting talk about MMO's in the first couple minutes, the first 3 mins or so. It has some crude language in it and it only glances on a few topics but I thought it brought up some good questions. Like will there ever be a WoW killer, how subscription models will work from now on, and can a new MMO be created without an established lore to back it up? The guys in the video dont usually do gaming video's, this show is new after Machinima lost it's gaming group Inside Gaming, so their point of view is probably a little different then yours.
It's easy to tell who my characters are, all their names begin with Kaur ... and probably aren't wearing pants.

Kaurix, Kaurick, Kaurith, Kaurak, Kaureth
Kaurich, Kaurik, Kaurok, Kaurek, Kaurax
Beardy McBeardson
Duke
Duke
Realm: ArcheAge
House: Griffon
Record: http://newoutriders.org/member/Beardy

Re: MMO's Dead ?

Post by Beardy McBeardson »

I think I mostly agree with that. ArcheAge is definitely keeping me entertained for the moment. But is it a "WoW-killer"? No. The only thing I think mayyyyyybe could do that would be EQNext, because it DOES have its own lore and universe and a long history, massive ex and current player base/fanboys for EQ2, etc.. EQ tends to be for casual players, but I've heard EQNext has some hardcore elements too. Of course this is all assuming the project ever actually gets done and released. They are way behind original projections, but eh, we'll see. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I still don't see a reason companies shouldn't try though. I've had alot of fun in several MMO's regardless of whether I stayed with them; Rift, GWII, NW, SWTOR. All great games! I'll NEVER go back to WoW though, they ruined it for the slightly less than casual to hardcore player IMO, and clearly have no plans of going back to the BC days....ever. I'm slowly but surely becoming a PVPer though, which is a bit unexpected considering my history of hardcore raiding. So any game with decent PVP elements will work just fine for me, and I think that is honestly most MMO players at this point.

TLDR: Meh..........
Lakasha
Baroness
Baroness
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online
House: Unicorn
Record: Defender of Hibernia (Golden Staff) 02⁄03⁄03
Defender of Hibernia (Silver Wand) 12⁄15⁄02
Official Writ of Welcome 01⁄06⁄02
Heraldess 12⁄19⁄01
Knight 10⁄29⁄01
Squire Court 09⁄09⁄01
Squire 04⁄02⁄01
Recruit 03⁄10⁄01

Post by Lakasha »

You will have to join us in Camelot Unchained when it finally releases!! DAoC was by far and away the best PvP/RvR game ever made and I am really hoping that Camelot Unchained will at least equal it.
ESO
Lakasha Finvarra - Sorceress V1

Lakashal - Templar - DC Blackwater Blade AvA Campaign

*NOR/Heraldess and AvA Coordinator

I can picture a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

DDO
Lakasha Finvarra - Bard 10 The Orginal
Lakashan - Bard Warchanter - 25 - Woot!!!
Kaurix
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT

Post by Kaurix »

I miss DAOC and will definitely have to give Unchained a try when it releases. I was never all that great at the RvR, I only made it to Realm Rank 5 but had a lot of fun with the zerg rush.
It's easy to tell who my characters are, all their names begin with Kaur ... and probably aren't wearing pants.

Kaurix, Kaurick, Kaurith, Kaurak, Kaureth
Kaurich, Kaurik, Kaurok, Kaurek, Kaurax
Lakasha
Baroness
Baroness
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online
House: Unicorn
Record: Defender of Hibernia (Golden Staff) 02⁄03⁄03
Defender of Hibernia (Silver Wand) 12⁄15⁄02
Official Writ of Welcome 01⁄06⁄02
Heraldess 12⁄19⁄01
Knight 10⁄29⁄01
Squire Court 09⁄09⁄01
Squire 04⁄02⁄01
Recruit 03⁄10⁄01

Post by Lakasha »

I know a bunch of us got together and contributed for Guild level on the kickstarter project so NOR will be there from the start!
ESO
Lakasha Finvarra - Sorceress V1

Lakashal - Templar - DC Blackwater Blade AvA Campaign

*NOR/Heraldess and AvA Coordinator

I can picture a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

DDO
Lakasha Finvarra - Bard 10 The Orginal
Lakashan - Bard Warchanter - 25 - Woot!!!

Return to “"The Tavern"”