MechWarrior Online - Revisited

Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

MechWarrior Online - Revisited

Post by Lasarian »

I played MechWarrior Online when it was first released and enjoyed it, although I admit early on it had many limitations. It didn't get much traction with NOR at the time probably for several reasons.

I have recently updated it (after finding Hawken just to simple) and the game is much improved.

While I am enjoying it, I can't help but think it would be even more fun if I could talk a few NORbies into joining me. So, I'm going to be pitching MWO to everyone in the hopes I can get some renewed interest. This isn't a full blown MMO - we're talking an hour or so of straight up PvP in giant robots!

There are other venues in the game now, Faction Play, which I have been unable to delve into just yet. They look promising, but that seems more for long term committed players? I'm not sure. I've just been doing Quickplay - which is a quick match, 12 v 12 players. I don't think I have ever waited longer than a minute for a match to get underway, each match takes about 10 minutes (they are timed, so they can't go on forever).

My old account had a bunch of stuff on it so it would be impossible for me to see what an actual F2P account would be like, so I opened one to start from the beginning to see what was what.
1. Go to MechWarrior Online and create an account. MWO is also now available on Steam;

2. Download the game;

3. Do the ENTIRE tutorial - not just for the information it imparts, but for the bonus C-Bills you get by doing it. C-Bills are the ingame currency you will use to purchase and configure your Mech. The previous version of the game made accumulating a decent amount of this money as a new player a soul-crushing grind, but there are now several bonuses and awards to get you started.

4. With your new account you 1 day of Premium time, which confers a +50% bonus to C-Bills collected and XP.

5. To start with you will only have Trial Mechs to pilot. This is one of the reasons I wanted to open a "Test Accountt" - between the tutorial and the ten (10) matches I have played on that account, I have accrued about 12,000,000 C-Bills - more than enough to buy my own Mech, depending on what I choose, maybe even more than one.

6. On the topic of #5 above, choose your first Mech purchase carefully! The game mechanics favor selecting a particular Mech and up to three of its "variants" in which you can unlock various capabilities relating to that particular chassis. It's kind of like "leveling" a toon - so you pick a Mech, whichever one that is, and you can spend XP to unlock various efficiencies, or pilot skills, that will improve the performance of the Mech.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Re: MechWarrior Online - Revisited

Post by Roxanne »

Thanks for the info, Las. Zif and I have been doing a bit of lite gaming , heh, I'm gonna clue him in on the game. I think he will really enjoy something like this, especially if other NOR ARE PLAYING!! :aletoast :yay
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Re: MechWarrior Online - Revisited

Post by Lasarian »

Far as I know it's just me atm
Lasarian