Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Team Tactics

Post by Lasarian »

Placeholder ...

Stay together. Other than scouts, no one should wander too far away from the group.

Scouts
Most teams have one or two scouts they will send out along the perimeter of the map. Often, Teams will ignore the scouts because they are light Mechs and don't do much damage. However, they are conning back locations of our Mechs and if they have a TAG device or NARC, they can stream LRMs at us from 1000m away. They also should not be underestimated in combat. A skilled pilot can "leg" even an Assault Mech with just Small Lasers and persistence.

I think we need to blind our opponents - everyone targets the Scout, which must be eliminated quickly. They are quite nimble, have a very small profile and can be difficult to target, but we can use the TAG or NARC the same way - just light up the Scout and LRM them to death.

LRM Boats
It seems like a lot of teams, even with the LRM nerf, still rely heavily on Catapults in the rear lobbing Long Range Missiles. A well coordinated team, with a Scout and TAG or NARC, can use this to very good effect. Where this tactic falls apart typically is when you close to short range with the Cats. These are still Heavy Mechs, and have a lot of armor, but their Pilots are often used to finding a vantage and spamming LRMs and not much else. Some Cat pilots are getting hip to this and going with SRM or Streak Missiles for close quarter combat - most are not. The point is to close the gap quickly and make those LRMs useless.

Heavies
From what I have observed the workhorse on the battlefield is often the Dragon or Hunchback.

Assault

Approach
What kind of team do we want to be? Aggressive or Defensive? Both?

Fire Teams
Anything heavier than a Light Mech really can't effectively engage more than one target at a time. If we work in pairs, we should always have someone covering our asses. In tandem, your opponent should always have their back, or flank, to one of you - giving you free reign to do substantial damage.

Choke Points and Kill Zones

Eliminating Firepower
My worry are the Medium and Heavies.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD

Return to “MechWarrior Online”