The Secret World Ditches Subscription Fee

Hang out, talk, post whatever is on your mind.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter
House: Griffon

The Secret World Ditches Subscription Fee

Post by Talolan »

:hailnor

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/subs ... r_required

The Secret World no longer requires a subscription to play. The game is switching initially to a buy-to-play model, where all currently released content is available to anybody who purchased the game. Subscriptions will earn you XP bonuses, and points for the game's cash shop for customization, future content, etc.

Future content updates to TSW will take on one of two forms. Some content will be released free for everybody. Other content will be released as DLC. DLC content can be purchased from the game's cash shop with the points you earn every month for subscribing, or F2P players can purchase DLC directly.

For those that haven't played it (I was in the beta), The Secret World is basically the the opposite of Guild Wars 2. GW2 has fantastic moment-to-moment gameplay, but the story is pretty standard MMO fare. TSW's moment-to-moment gameplay (ie: combat) isn't as good or fluid as GW2's, but it does a much better job of story telling and world building.

On a personal note, the TSW's business model before this announcement is EXACTLY why I didn't play the game. The game had a subscription fee and a Free-to-Play style cash shop. Your subscription didn't earn you points on the cash shop. It was ridiculous.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
rallis
Duke
Duke

Re: The Secret World Ditches Subscription Fee

Post by rallis »

That is good to know, i have been thinking about playing it again now i dont have to worry about the cash part of it right now. I have played this game for the first couple of months and as talo said, combat is more of the same but the story and the quest make you do research and make you have to think. By that i mean actually going to the internet and finding cipher's and other fun stuff to make your brain work!! If your looking for a change of genre and looking for a good story to play along with, TSW is a good game.
Rallis,

Marquis
Lakasha
Baroness
Baroness
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online
House: Unicorn
Record: Defender of Hibernia (Golden Staff) 02⁄03⁄03
Defender of Hibernia (Silver Wand) 12⁄15⁄02
Official Writ of Welcome 01⁄06⁄02
Heraldess 12⁄19⁄01
Knight 10⁄29⁄01
Squire Court 09⁄09⁄01
Squire 04⁄02⁄01
Recruit 03⁄10⁄01

Post by Lakasha »

Sounds interesting although I always prefer if games at least attempt to give you all the information you need in the game so that you are not required to research out of game. Whether the knowledge is in in-game books or whatever. I say this knowing that most people including myself just look stuff up online, somehow I just like the option of being able to find everything in game if I just look hard enough.
ESO
Lakasha Finvarra - Sorceress V1

Lakashal - Templar - DC Blackwater Blade AvA Campaign

*NOR/Heraldess and AvA Coordinator

I can picture a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

DDO
Lakasha Finvarra - Bard 10 The Orginal
Lakashan - Bard Warchanter - 25 - Woot!!!
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Lakasha wrote:Sounds interesting although I always prefer if games at least attempt to give you all the information you need in the game so that you are not required to research out of game. Whether the knowledge is in in-game books or whatever. I say this knowing that most people including myself just look stuff up online, somehow I just like the option of being able to find everything in game if I just look hard enough.
Its not like they expect you to find the answer in the game, its actually designed specifically to make you leave. Its actually part of the mechanics. Its a meta-game.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Additionally, the game is now 1/2 off at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VTVKG6/
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Tygir
Knight
Knight

Post by Tygir »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
The true test of a champion, is how long it takes to kill him.

"i believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage. Rage against the dying of the light.
ryverwynd
Baron
Baron

Post by ryverwynd »

I saw the 1/2 off on Amazon earlier and ordered it. It's downloading still. No idea what name I'll go with. I have a few other friends trying it out now as well.
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Well, I picked this up. What faction do people think they'll play on. What faction did you play Rallis?
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

I'm playing on the Arcadia (RP) server, as a Templar. Nickname is Talolan.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Post by Roxanne »

I've always been interested in playing this one but I don't know if I have the time to play just yet. I'll have to check into the cost of the game.
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF

Return to “"The Tavern"”