RIFT - Why?

Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

RIFT - Why?

Post by Lasarian »

When I got a little more free time and I decided to check back in on NOR and maybe play a game or two, I fell back on my habit of just "going where the members are" and downloaded GW2 and BDO. I was curious to see why the resurgence in GW2 and I wanted to give the game another fair shake; and of course BDO is new and I am curious. I still intend to try those games but at one point I just decided to pick something I enjoyed and have some fun.

For me, that was RIFT.

So that's where I am and there have been quite a few changes, most I like, some not so much, but I decided to conduct an experiment of opening a F2P account and seeing what the experience is like, what the restrictions are "live and ingame" and report back to NOR on my findings ... you know: Just in case :tongue2

It's been a while since I did the Questing route, so I may do that again, but for my first two experimental toons, I'll be taking an Instant Adventure and PvP leveling arc to see what happens and how it goes.

One thing has not changed: There is a ton of stuff to do. In fact, I wonder if this might not be part of the problem RIFT had getting traction with NOR. It's like a restaurant menu with 4,000 items to choose from, you end up having difficulty making a choice with so many choices available.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Bräägi
Squire
Squire
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: Guild Invite: Zyera
Recruit: 06-16-2016
Squire: 07-14-2016

Re: RIFT - Why?

Post by Bräägi »

I'm interested in your findings. Rift, like GW2, is a game I played for a bit and then stopped, and for the life of me can't recall why I did in either case.
Lasarian wrote:
One thing has not changed: There is a ton of stuff to do. In fact, I wonder if this might not be part of the problem RIFT had getting traction with NOR. It's like a restaurant menu with 4,000 items to choose from, you end up having difficulty making a choice with so many choices available.
BDO doesn't have that same issue? I found that BDO could be positively mind boggling if you didn't log in with a nightly goal.
Llira
Lady
Lady
Realm: Guild Wars 2
Record: Recruited by Catamok: SQ 11/4/1995, SH 2/4/1996, SE 5/20/1996, KT 7/26/1996, BA, 12/1996, CT 02/1997, DK 9/16/1997, HC 3/9/1998 <left NOR in 2003> Returned 9/24/06.
MMO Games I've played in no particular order: Neverwinter Nights, The Realm Online, Empyriana, Lords of Empyria, Dark Sun Online, Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies and The Old Republic, Ultima Online, Acheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, Runes of Magic, Neverwinter, World Of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Rift, TERA, Guild Wars 2, Ryzom, Diablo (all), Dungeons and Dragons Online, (and probably a few I have forgotten).

Alt names you might see me play as only if Llira/Lliira/Llirra/Lliraa/Llirah are unavailable (LOL): Eolanthe, Ileena, Aileena, Lily, Tallyn/Talynn :)

Post by Llira »

Lasarian!!! Long time my friend! I loved RIFT, but they started making more and more changes that were turning people off of it. More that required RL coin to do things. I haven't played it in, oh, probably 6 months.

Llira
NOR Llira
Lady Emeritus
Neverwinter: @llira101
Facebook: Yolanda Mathis Neal
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Bräägi wrote:I'm interested in your findings. Rift, like GW2, is a game I played for a bit and then stopped, and for the life of me can't recall why I did in either case.
I do! I followed my friends right out of RIFT and into SWTOR and GW2, then ultimately back to WoW; but I always rather did like the game.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Bräägi
Squire
Squire

Post by Bräägi »

Last edited by Lasarian on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleared up code for link to describe the giveaway.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Sign up for an MMORPG account (if you don't have one) and get this boost. Seems legit, checked it out on the RIFT forums. Thanks for the link Bräägi
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Bräägi
Squire
Squire

Post by Bräägi »

You're quite welcome. I figured even if people didn't want the boost per se, the bags and other stuff seemed useful :)
Saroc
Knight
Knight
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Saroc »

Rift is a great game, especially for a soloist collector like myself (really wih more games would use a artefact collection system).
Something always felt off, though. Perhaps i just didnt find the right character, or maybe it's somethign else.

Anyway!
Glad you like it and i hope you have fin.
Meanwhile, me and Imaultis will keep the lights on in WoW.

BR
Sarocus
Steward of the WoW Guild Hall
Visitor of Everywhere Else.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Saroc wrote:Rift is a great game, especially for a soloist collector like myself (really wih more games would use a artefact collection system).
Something always felt off, though. Perhaps i just didnt find the right character, or maybe it's somethign else.

Anyway!
Glad you like it and i hope you have fin.
Meanwhile, me and Imaultis will keep the lights on in WoW.

BR
Sarocus
This seems to be a fairly common refrain among many players: "RIFT is a great game, nice graphics, lots to do; BUT ... "

The rest of that sentence is different for everyone. Even I had a case of it. "I really love RIFT, but ... "

Not sure why that is exactly. It's like the best game out there that no one plays.

Could be it's just similar enough to other games that would-be players are not compelled to make the switch. Yeah, it has a lot that's similar to WoW, for example, that said, why not just play WoW? It's a fair question and one I think has plagued Trion from the start.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Llira
Lady
Lady
Realm: Guild Wars 2
Record: Recruited by Catamok: SQ 11/4/1995, SH 2/4/1996, SE 5/20/1996, KT 7/26/1996, BA, 12/1996, CT 02/1997, DK 9/16/1997, HC 3/9/1998 <left NOR in 2003> Returned 9/24/06.
MMO Games I've played in no particular order: Neverwinter Nights, The Realm Online, Empyriana, Lords of Empyria, Dark Sun Online, Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies and The Old Republic, Ultima Online, Acheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, Runes of Magic, Neverwinter, World Of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Rift, TERA, Guild Wars 2, Ryzom, Diablo (all), Dungeons and Dragons Online, (and probably a few I have forgotten).

Alt names you might see me play as only if Llira/Lliira/Llirra/Lliraa/Llirah are unavailable (LOL): Eolanthe, Ileena, Aileena, Lily, Tallyn/Talynn :)

Post by Llira »

I love love love its crafting system! :D
NOR Llira
Lady Emeritus
Neverwinter: @llira101
Facebook: Yolanda Mathis Neal

Return to “Information & Updates”