PSA: Check your Steam accounts

Hang out, talk, post whatever is on your mind.
Nimue
Baroness
Baroness
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: Recruit 07-15-2015
Squire 08-09-2015
Knight 12-14-2015
Baroness 06-05-2016

PSA: Check your Steam accounts

Post by Nimue »

A quick heads-up for those of you who are on Steam: Someone just tried to hack my account, hopefully without success. I have SteamGuard active and it did its job, alerting me that someone from a Russian IP had tried to log in with my correct user name and password. I happened to be at my computer, so I immediately changed my password, made sure there was no payment information stored in the account, and changed the password on the associated e-mail account for good measure. I also sent a ticket to Steam support, although I'm not very optimistic that this will have any effect, considering that it took me ten minutes to even find the "Contact support" button on their support page.

It looks like the hacker didn't manage to get into the account since my password and e-mail address were still unchanged, so hopefully I caught them in time. If you're on Steam, you may want to review your password and perhaps change it, and I strongly recommend activating SteamGuard if you haven't already done so. The additional layer of security is well worth the minor inconvenience of having to enter a code each time you access your account from a new device.

Guild Wars 2: Nimue.4892
Image Nimue De Danann Image
Windemere
Duke
Duke

Re: PSA: Check your Steam accounts

Post by Windemere »

Ouch, glad you were able to catch it in time, thanks for the heads up.
Guild Wars 2: Windemere.6534

Image Windemere Gealaich Image
Sofija
Baron
Baron
Record: Squire - June 22, 2014
Knight - August 24, 2014
Champion - October 17, 2015
Baron - November 29, 2017

Post by Sofija »

Awfully close to what happened me. Did the thing when the got my SWTOR/Origin account. Glad you caught them in time.
Ismene (Quirk)
Baroness
Baroness
Record: Recruit: 9/26/15, Squire: 10/16/15, Baroness: 4/10/16

Post by Ismene (Quirk) »

Yikes! Thank you for the head's up. I use Steam a lot so this is especially scary. Glad you were able to catch it in the act!!
Guild Wars 2: Quirk.8056
Image Fribble Image (And too many more to count!)

SWTOR: The Kos Legacy

Return to “"The Tavern"”