SimCity Tips

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter
House: Griffon

SimCity Tips

Post by Talolan »

:hailnor

Here are some tips I've compiled for SimCity thus far. Several people have talked about getting it... just do it already. Vash and I are getting lonely. :)

Just some general things to remember before we get started:
  • ROADS ARE EVERYTHING. Every building must be connected to a road. Your power, water, sewage are all distributed/collected by your roads (no more building power lines and pipes). There are two road types: Streets (from Low to High Density), and Avenues (from Medium to High Density). Streets are either 2 or 4 lane streets. Avenues are 4 or 6 lane divided streets with a median between each side, the highest level avenue also has trolley tracks.
  • Cities are not self-sufficient. You can make self-contained cities in SimCity, but if you do, you aren't actually playing the game. You have to make use of your region.
Density
Density is the first thing you need to make yourself aware of in SimCity. First off, Density is not wealth. Density comes in three levels: Low, Medium and High.

Low Density residential buildings would be single family homes, trailers, or duplexes. Low density commercial buildings are single business entities like shoppes and movie theaters. Medium Density residential buildings are things like apartment buildings or condos. Medium Density commercial buildings add things like large office buildings. High Density residential and commercial buildings are the skyscraper versions of the medium density buildings.

Its important to remember not to expand too fast. The power, water and sewage needs increase an order of magnitude every time you move up a density level. If you start making all medium density and high density streets or avenues, your city is going to grow much too fast, and the amount of micromanagement you'll find necessary will be difficult to over come. Take it slow. Fill out your landmass before you start upping the density.

Wealth
The first thing to remember is that density is not wealth. While density is determined by the type of road you put down, Wealth is determined by the desirability of the area. If the land value is low, the residential and commercial properties on that land will be low wealth. As the land value increases you will move up into medium wealth, and eventually high wealth.

Access to services increases desirability across the board, but it doesn't impact land value much. What impacts land value are mostly two things (unless you specialize for Culture/Tourism): The Mayor's Mansion, Parks. The Mayor's Mansion unlocks pretty early in your city life, and can be upgraded over time if you meet certain popularity requirements. The only high wealth areas in my cities directly surround my Major's Mansion (this is by design for me). Parks on the other hand, are a cheap, easy way to increase land value. Plop down a couple parks, and you'll go from low to medium in no time.

It is important to remember, that as your population gets more wealthy, it also takes up more space. Low wealth, low density homes, for example, tend to be very small, sometimes looking like a trailer park. The move to medium wealth makes the houses bigger, but it still a single family home. High wealth, low density homes, can look like mansions and take up quite a bit of space. This trend also continues through medium and high density.

So, if you're like me, and you have a little bit of low-wealth unemployment, and you have too few medium-wealth workers (since you can see the jobs available by wealth), and you plop down some parks to increase the land value of an area, you'll lose those low-wealth unemployed workers (yay), but the new buildings will have a lower overall population than what you lost, so you won't gain as many medium wealth workers to fill the empty jobs, and your overall population will drop slightly.

Utilities
Water. Water is a fickle bitch. Personally, I rate water and sewage as more important than making sure you have a good school system, and adequate police/fire/medical coverage. Every zone has a finite amount of water on its own. You can see your city's water table using the map options. That water WILL dry up if you over consume it. There are some things that will replenish the water table, such as rain, which is completely unreliable. If you are a coastal city, your water table will also naturally replenish over time.

If you are a land-locked city how do you replenish your water? Well, you can buy it from another city, which is what I did for a time in my second city. My first city was on the coast, so I bought its water. But there are better solutions. There are two forms of water runoff in SimCity. Industrial, and Sewage Treatment. Industrial runoff shows on your water table in grades of brown (instead of blue) from low water, to high water. Industrial runoff is very polluted, but you can treat it and use it as water. Sewage Treatment is the best answer. Your sewage treatment plant, treats all your sewage (obviously), and puts the runoff (ie: clean water) back into the ground. This water is free of pollution, but it can be a little germy (germs and pollution are tracked separately).

The best solution for long term water health in your city is to build your sewage treatment plant, and make sure that you ALWAYS maintain enough capacity that it never overflows and pours untreated sewage into your ground water. Then, place your water pump across the street. The pump will grab the cleaned runoff from the treatment plant. Give your pump a couple filter buildings, and you've got your own regenerating water supply.

For power, I like Solar. Solar and Wind are the only two options that don't pollute, but as such they take up a lot of space which is why I'm working on the solar farm great work. When that is complete, I can buy my power from that site, pollution free and requiring no space in my city.

Homeless
I'm about 30 hours in, and for the first 25 or so, I had NO IDEA how to handle the homeless. But I've figured it out, for the most part. The default tax rate in your city is 9% for all three sectors (residential, commercial, industrial). If you upgrade your city hall enough (or any city hall in your region) you can get a Department of Finance. This will allow you to tax each wealth group independently as well. So you get separate tax rates for low, medium and high wealth residential, commercial and industrial.

Homeless are a problem, because they congregate in your parks, they don't have jobs, and they lower land values. To get rid of them, lower the low wealth residential tax rate. I found that lowering it from 9% to 8% essentially cut my homeless problem in half. Another thing that cut it down was having adequate bus coverage in my city.

Then when your homeless numbers go down, and you get to 100% employment (or in my case under-employment, I have more jobs than people to staff them), you can raise the tax rate back up.

Industry
While industry follows the low-high density levels I outlined for residential and commercial zones, it doesn't care about wealth. Industry will produce mainly low-wealth jobs. There will be a few medium wealth jobs (management positions), but mostly it is low wealth jobs. The thing you need to manage for industry is technology level.

All industry wants skilled workers (meaning you need a good elementary school, and high school, and adequate bus coverage so that your entire city is enrolled). Skilled workers, however, do not increase the tech level of your industry. Only two things do that: Community College and University.

Unlike elementary and high schools, which should be placed in/near your residential areas. Your College/University should be placed in/near your industrial area, because they increase tech level first by proximity, then by pumping out students. You can increase your tech level enough with just a Community College, that you can get rid of 90% of your industrial pollution (water runoff is still polluted). Add in a University and pretty soon you'll have very high tech companies in town. Higher tech companies make more money, meaning more tax revenue for you.

Regions
NOR has a 16-city region. 4 of the cities are currently occupied (2 by Vashile, 2 by me). Look at the strengths and weaknesses of your zone before you decide what kind of city you want to make. If you have a zone with rich reserves of coal, ore, or oil, you don't want to turn that into a tourism hotspot, because then you're depriving your region of those resources.

Your city can connect to other cities in the region by four methods: Regional Highway, Regional Railway, Seaport, Airport.

The NOR region is essentially broken into 4 sub-regions. Each of the 4 sub-regions has its own regional highway. So you can connect by road to 3 other cities. Each sub-region also has its own Regional Railway (2 of the sub-regions are connected), so again, you can connected to a several cities, but not the whole region. Any city on the water can build a sea-port and connect to any of the cities with a sea-port as well, regardless of their sub-region. And any city can connect to any other city with a municipal airport.

City connections are very very important. The first cities Vashile and I made are pretty bad. We both expanded too fast, Vashile ended up with way too many medium wealth Sims, and not enough jobs. I ended up with way too many medium wealth jobs, and not enough Sims to fill them. The cities are connected by Sea-port, so now Vashile's medium wealth Sims commute to my city to work.

I mentioned City Halls earlier. City Halls upgrade has you hit certain population marks. Each time you upgrade your city hall, you can add-on a department. There are 6: Education, Finance, Safety, Tourism, Transportation, Utilities. I've never had a city big enough to install more than 4 add-ons to the city hall. But ANY add-on installed in the region counts for your city as well. So while Vashile and I only have 4 cities going, we have all 6 add-ons, so everything is unlocked. Here is a rundown of what they do: Education unlocks the Community College and University; Finance allows you to tax each wealth level independently; Safety unlocks advanced buildings for police, fire and medical; Tourism unlocks various parks and attractions; Transportation unlocks the sea-port and municipal airport, and Utilities unlocks the sewage treatment plant, recycling center, and water pumping station. They may not be sexy, but the first things I'd unlock in a fresh region are Utilities and Finance.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Re: SimCity Tips

Post by Ojike »

Great write up Talo! Soon as bills are paid I'll be grabbing the game. :yay Great work!
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

I'm going to write a little about traffic, since most people assume it is "bugged" and "broken." Respectfully, I disagree.

The way the Simulation works in SimCity, is that at the start of a work day, your citizens will go to the nearest available job, and return to the nearest available home. This annoys some people, but if you look at the function of your city on a macro level, it is absolutely meaningless. The city wouldn't function any differently than if specific sims had specific jobs and houses.

How traffic currently works in SimCity is somewhat problematic, in that Sims will always take the shortest route to a location when they drive, meaning you can get some pretty wicked traffic jams. However, watching videos of people having problems with this, I'm struck by how "old school" they are building many of their cities.

They are following the classic SimCity model:

Code: Select all

|11|22|33|44|
=============
|RR|RR|CC|II|
|RR|RR|CC|II|
=============
|RR|RR|CC|II|
|RR|RR|CC|II|
=============
|RR|RR|CC|II|
|RR|RR|CC|II|
=============
Twice a much residential as commercial or industrial. Use the commercial to buffer pollution between your residential and industrial.

I actually really like that design in some ways, and my most successful city at the moment currently employs a design very similar to that, but based on what we know about how Sims route to/from work. That doesn't make any sense. The Residents of column 2 are going to take the commercial jobs in column 3, leaving the residents in column 1 to take the industrial jobs in column 4.

Assume we keep the same ratio of Residential, Commercial and Industrial 2:1:1, it makes more sense to intersperse them to reduce travel.

Something like:

Code: Select all

=============
|RR|CC|RR|II|
|RR|CC|RR|II|
=============
|CC|RR|RR|II|
|CC|RR|RR|II|
=============
|RR|CC|RR|II|
|RR|CC|RR|II|
=============
The industrial zones will keep the residential zones land value down, meaning the low wealth residential workers will live next to their low wealth industrial jobs. Then if you raise the wealth levels of your residential and commercial zones in tandem, your medium/high wealth workers and shoppers will commute to their medium/high wealth commercial jobs/shopping right next door.

Something to note, I am assuming in the layout above that the Industrial zones are downwind from everything else, and I didn't intermix the residential and industrial zones like the residential and commercial, for air pollution reasons.

That said, all of the above is academic, because they are changing traffic routing in an upcoming patch. Sims will no longer take the shortest physical route at all times. Roads will track their congestion levels at 25/50/75/100%, and Sims will reroute accordingly (kind of like if you are driving to work, and you know that road X is always backed up so you take road Y as your secret shortcut, even though it might be physically longer, it goes faster).

I expect this patch, unless they botch it, will solve 80% of the traffic problems people are having.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

Expansion
60 hours in, the biggest problem I'm having is still over-expansion, or expansion too quickly. Some notes on expansion.

Most people are going to start with a few medium density avenues and low density streets. You'll start building your town, making sure you have the basic services down (power, water, sewage, fire, police, health, education), and get to where you are turning a decent profit. Eventually your services will necessitate a higher population to stay profitable. So you'll start upgrading your low-density streets to medium density, and eventually high density.

I cannot stress then enough: Do not upgrade them all at once. When you upgrade a street, if the buildings are likely to expand (you can see this in the density map overlay), they will all expand at once. What happens then is that the original building gets torn down and construction on a new one goes up. During that period you lose the building that was there. So if it was residential you lose the population, if it was commercial you lose the shopping and jobs, if it was industrial you lose the jobs. In all those cases you also lose the tax revenue of the building and its occupants.

If you decide it is time to upgrade. Go a block at a time. Let the construction complete before you move on to the next one. You can turn a +$5000/day city into a -$2000/day city really really quickly if you upgrade too fast.

The other consideration for expansion is job and shopping availability. High density industrial/commercial sites employ a lot of people. If you already have unfilled jobs, then increasing the density of your industrial/commercial sites will cause you to have a large deficit of skilled workers and businesses will start going under (costing you lots of tax revenue, and making you demolish them as fire hazards and wait for new construction). You want to keep both your unemployment and unfilled jobs numbers as close to 0 as you can get them unless you have a neighbor that is out of whack on one of them. In the NOR region a few thousand Medium Wealth workers from Vashile's New Freeport, commute to my city of Lancaster Point to fill my medium wealth jobs. It works out for Vash, because his medium wealth population has jobs, and it works out for me, because I don't have to try and upgrade my population from low to medium wealth.

If you have your unemployment and unfilled jobs numbers both near zero, and you think it is time for expansion, upgrade your job-creating sites (commercial/industrial) before your residential so you don't have as much unemployment to deal with. Unemployment leads to homelessness. Also bear in mind that industrial jobs are mostly low wealth, while commercial jobs run the gamut from low to high wealth, but are mostly medium wealth even if it is a low wealth business. A low wealth commercial business will want medium wealth employees, but will service low wealth shoppers. A medium wealth commercial business will want medium wealth employees and service medium wealth shoppers, etc.

Understanding how to balance wealth, jobs, density and shopping all at once is one of the hardest things to get a true handle on in SimCity.

Pollution
When your city really starts maturing, and you decide to move away from industrial zones, and into city specialization businesses, or you get more high tech, less polluting industrial buildings, you'll want to deal with your air and ground pollution. There are two basic methods of dealing with this. First, for air pollution if you stop polluting it will go away naturally but very slowly over time. For both air and ground pollution, the best way to deal with the pollution is by planting a buttload of forests in the polluted area. If you go to your parks menu, under medium wealth nature, at the very end is a simple tool that lets you plant or uproot forests. These don't count as parks, and they don't get in the way of your buildings, they simply grow around them. Cover the polluted area in forests (costs about $50 a click, and has no maintenance fee). Every couple of days, check back on your forests, most of your trees will have disappeared. Plant new ones and check back in a couple days again. If you check your pollution map overlays, your big brown ugly pollution area will shrink each time you've replanted.

In my personal region (not the NOR region), I have a city that has 0 industrial buildings left (it has moved on), and I have completely eliminated ground and air pollution from the city which lowered the cost of providing health care as there are far less germs in the city.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Return to “General”