New on Steam: Rogue Legacy

Open discussion for members and visitors.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter
House: Griffon

New on Steam: Rogue Legacy

Post by Talolan »

This is a procedurally generated rogue-like 2d action game. The twist is that when you die, you'll continue as your child, and when they die, you'll continue as their child. Each child had unique traits such as color blindness, gigantism, or dyslexia. Each character and playthrough is unique.

Available to purchase on Steam, GoG, Gamer's Gate, Desura and the developer's website now.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Re: New on Steam: Rogue Legacy

Post by Roxanne »

Did you purchase this, Talolan? It looks like alot of fun, you must give a full review!
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

I haven't yet. Saving my pennies for the upcoming move.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

My sons and daughters will remember my struggle: Rogue Legacy, the “rogue-lite” game about ancestry
Here is a review of the game from PAR. A couple clips:
Lady Shanoa VI: The Divine Lich Queen was the best of my line, the 38th generation of hero to assault the castle. No one who came before or after her was able to match her achievements. No hero delved as deep into the castle and no heroine slayed as many beasts. Certainly not Lady Antoinette the Feeble Knave, third of my line.

But then again, it's not really a fair comparison. Lady Antoinette the Feeble Knave was afflicted with Vertigo, a condition which caused her to view the entire world upside down, as though she was running on the ceiling and jumping downward.

By contrast, Lady Shanoa VI the Divine Lich Queen was a born hero. She was afflicted with gigantism, causing her to deal massive damage with her strikes. She was also a Lich, meaning she stole the life force from the enemies she killed, gaining stats and life as she ventured further into enemy territory. Oh, and she was also bald…if anyone cares. She certainly didn't seem to.
Everything about Rogue Legacy is open to self-effacing mockery occasionally. It doesn't ruin the vibe of heroism, but it sets the mood for a game that doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't seem to want you to take it too seriously either. I found Rogue Legacy was at its most compelling when I just left it open on my PC taskbar throughout the day and routinely jumped in to play a few heroes for 30-45 minutes or so every couple hours. Play too long and you'll start to feel the stat grind, but take frequent breaks and you'll find the right balance.

Before you know it you'll have plugged 10 hours into this unintimidating journey only to find that you're only halfway through. It's a funny game, but it takes gameplay seriously, and there's more than enough here to absorb you into the adventure of a lineage of heroes building themselves up over the eons to assault this dungeon.

It's a larger game than a 2-3 person indie project has any right to be, and the gameplay is as refined as the genre classics from which it draws inspiration. It's a game that is fun, funny, but brings enough polish to be taken seriously. Rogue Legacy is the roguelike genre reimagined through the eyes of designers who really seem like they just want you to have a good time.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

rallis
Duke
Duke

Post by rallis »

I did buy this, it is fun. But very challenging. I cannot seem to live more than 5 minutes per guy. I may just suck at these types of games.
Rallis,

Marquis
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Post by Roxanne »

rallis wrote:I did buy this, it is fun. But very challenging. I cannot seem to live more than 5 minutes per guy. I may just suck at these types of games.
Rut roh! If YOU find it challenging, I may find it mindbogglingly crazy! :lol
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

rallis wrote:I did buy this, it is fun. But very challenging. I cannot seem to live more than 5 minutes per guy. I may just suck at these types of games.
Are you using your keyboard like a chump, or a gamepad?
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop

Post by Lasarian »

Talolan wrote:Are you using your keyboard like a chump, or a gamepad?
If you not fluent in Talolanese, this is a typical way of framing a question. I will translate for you: "Are you using your keyboard or a gamepad?"

To respond, naturally, you might simply say:

"I'm using my keyboard."

To be suitable in Talolanese you must embellish your reply with something insulting and inflammatory that doesn't really add any substance to the statement other than to goad the reader into a visceral reaction, for example:

"I am using my keyboard you imperious snob."
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Talolan
Duke
Duke

Post by Talolan »

I was merely implying that Rallis generally doesn't "suck" at games (to use his words), so I wonder if he was handicapping himself by playing on a keyboard. As we all know, intentionally handicapping ones-self makes one a chump.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

Poxi
Baron
Baron

Post by Poxi »

While watching the video I couldn't avert my eyes...possible Game Crack...I must avoid it. :shocked

-Poxi
Yago Dash - Jedi Sage
Baron - DMG Member
NEW OUTRIDERS - Ebon Hawk Server

:bunny <-Beware the Bunny of Doom!

Return to “General”