Hi folks, I'm asking for a small out of game favor...

HollyCNY
Ally
Ally
House: Griffon
Record: Recruited August 1996 (NWN on AOL)
Re-Recruited SWTOR March 2013
Squired by Tundrra SWTOR April 13, 2013

Hi folks, I'm asking for a small out of game favor...

Post by HollyCNY »

A couple of days ago I tried to log into RIFT, and it demanded a downloaded update to the Glyph launcher. After the download was completed and it tried to install, "An Error has occurred" popped up and forcibly shut down the procedure, and then my antivirus announced the download had been quarantined. I posted on the RIFT forums and they said to add rift.exe and glyphinstaller.exe to my antivirus exclusion list. Before that incident, I NEVER had any such problem-- I'd had my current antivirus program longer than I've had RIFT on my machine.

So I did this, and the game runs fine again, but now, every single time I try to log into the RIFT forums, "Connection closed by the remote server" appears. I can navigate the website and read forum posts with no problem whatsoever, but every single time I try to sign in, it gets blocked.

I'm wondering if my computer is now infected with some kind of trojan horse after all. I"m running exhaustive scans of my antivirus, Malwarebytes, and Spybot for malware.

In the meantime, can anyone who sees this and has a RIFT account, try to log into the forums for me and post the results here? Just try to sign in to the forums, that's all I need, tell me here if you have the same problem. I'm betting nobody else does.

UPDATE: "System Settings Protector" in my Spybot S&D software now crashes and is forcibly shut down every time I boot up. I'm deeply concerned some serious form of malware is trying to cripple all of my computer's defenses before wreaking heaven-only-knows-what-kind-of-havoc. Again, this has NEVER been an issue before that problem in Glyph a couple of days ago.
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Re: Hi folks, I'm asking for a small out of game favor...

Post by Talolan »

If what you listed here is all you did, then I don't believe your PC has been infected with anything. I had a terrible time with Glyph today getting the ArcheAge beta because Glyph does not play nice with anti-virus software.

Honestly, it would probably take you the better part of a day, but I would uninstall and reinstall everything (Glyph, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and your antivirus).
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
HollyCNY
Ally
Ally
Record: Recruited August 1996 (NWN on AOL)
Re-Recruited SWTOR March 2013
Squired by Tundrra SWTOR April 13, 2013

Re: Hi folks, I'm asking for a small out of game favor...

Post by HollyCNY »

Meh, no biggie for me, I can do that if need be.

For some reason I have been able to sign in to the RIFT website again since early this morning, no idea what caused the problem to start or stop. In the meantime I found my way to a pretty lively thread on all the problems people are having with Glyph.

I'll re-install Spybot at least, for sure.

Malwarebytes, I think I'll just post on their site. It seems that when I go into Firefox's settings to make www.dogpile.com the home page instead of the default Firefox home page, Malwarebytes considers it a "PUP" (Potentially Unwanted Program). I can add it to a permanent ignore list, and if I have to, again I will.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Tempest Bay”