Windows 10?

Hang out, talk, post whatever is on your mind.
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire
Realm: RIFT

Windows 10?

Post by Soulfinger »

I just got a message in my system tray asking me if I wanted the free upgrade to Windows 10. I'm on Win 7 which is rock solid for everything I'm doing... I usually hate to upgrade Windows versions until after a release has been out at least a year... But the free upgrade is a "limited time offer" so not sure if I should jump on it or not...

Thoughts?

(PS - no touch-screen here).
SWTOR Republic - Poobah (60 Guardian), Fece (60 Scoundrel)
SWTOR Imperial - Soulfinger (60 Sorcerer), Solsismic (51 Powertech), Isith (50 Marauder), Sinet (20 Operative)

Free Tadziki? Yah! --Treek.
Raybenn
Squire
Squire

Re: Windows 10?

Post by Raybenn »

Soulfinger wrote:But the free upgrade is a "limited time offer" so not sure if I should jump on it or not...

Thoughts?

(PS - no touch-screen here).
My understanding is that the time limit on the offer is a year, so you do have some time to decide and see what others think. There should be no risk to signing up for it, as it won't install without asking you.

I have run the tech preview on my gaming laptop (booted from a VHD), and in several VMs. It has been not bad... A few rough patches, but that is to be expected. The games I play all worked, at least in that build.
Raybenn, Juggernaut - Oythem, Mercenary - Melzo, Sorcerer - Danit, Sniper
Grogit, Sentinel - Hazo, Scoundrel
Atlis
Knight
Knight

Post by Atlis »

Most reports I've seen from various websites and forum posts around the web say that W10 is roughly a 1-2% performance increase for most modern games. Meaning, it is technically a step up as far as gaming goes, even if it is a marginal step. However, if Microsoft decides to make DX12 windows 10 only, then you'll have little choice but to upgrade at some point, whether a year down the road or later.

Windows goes through cycles: 1 bad - 1 good. It's been like this since its inception and Windows 10 is looking to continue the trend. Windows 8 was ill received (although 8.1 turned that around a good amount), and so far all signs point to 10 being a nice OS. I'm still on W7, but I got the same message you did and fully intend to upgrade to W10 - mainly cause I'm tired of W7 :P and I like W10's interface and some of the QoL changes to the OS. But like I said, as far as games go (modern games), 10 is looking good. Will look even better once DX12 finally comes out... provided it's not buggy. However, DX12 doesn't matter for all current games (swtor included - which is still DX9 if I recall). The DX12 upgrade will only matter for future games, which is why you'll have to upgrade at some point if Microsoft makes DX12 Windows 10 only. A few years from now, all the fancy games that come out on DX12 won't be available on other Windows platforms if they go that route. Hopefully they don't... that's just shady business, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Empire: Airo - Edison - Atlia - Ruxi - Sef - Sefi
Republic: Enthoni - Mizati - Abbey - Atas - Atlis - Nyel - Ketris
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
House: Griffon
Record: Recruited by Zyera
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

I accepted it. And yeah what Edison said, the dx12 will soon be what "most" new games to come will need to run. Or at least to optimal. ;)

SWTOR - Witherbane Legacy
GW2 - Valikk.3810
Soulfinger
Squire
Squire

Post by Soulfinger »

Thanks for the info. I agree with the "every 2nd version" thing. I was lucky and stuck with Windows 98 while my mom got Milleniumed... suffered with it for years. Then I went to XP and then 7, so I've been good so far. Will make a note to upgrade in a few months.
SWTOR Republic - Poobah (60 Guardian), Fece (60 Scoundrel)
SWTOR Imperial - Soulfinger (60 Sorcerer), Solsismic (51 Powertech), Isith (50 Marauder), Sinet (20 Operative)

Free Tadziki? Yah! --Treek.
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
Realm: Guild Wars 2
House: Griffon
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Post by tornnomar »

What? No Vista Love? The Shame!

Me, I accepted the reservation. It was way beyond time for Microsoft to move forward. The leap to Metro was a bit of a stretch for most PC users, most opted to boot into the Desktop mode rather than try and play with tiles and such. Good for touch screens, Keyboard and Mouse, uh, not so much.
When I played around with the preview I was surprised to find that I liked it. It may be the first Windows that I actually use for something other than playing a game, opting instead for my beloved Arch w/ Gnome.
It was also mentioned that Win10 has a smaller footprint, which is nice, but the biggest draw for me is Cortana. If she works as well in 10 as she does on the phone your in for a treat. Plus Microsoft is making a Cortana for iOS and Android so all the devices can 'talk,' this includes Xbox One as well. So many treats in store...come on July 29th!
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Dabulamanzi
Squire
Squire

Post by Dabulamanzi »

Running 10 (now showing as Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview ) on 2 of my systems, 1 flawlessly, the other has had 2 hiccups over last 3 days, think its a graphics driver issue... Running SWTOR on the good system as well as on a Win 7, so far so good. It is available free now for testing, and the updates don't interfere with me working on the system, seems to save the restarts until system has been idle for a while.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Return to “"The Tavern"”