Anyone else nervous about Free To Play?

Gilen
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT
House: Griffon

Anyone else nervous about Free To Play?

Post by Gilen »

With the horrendous lag I get ever since they combined the servers, adding a whole bunch of new folks from the FTP has me more than concerned. Anyone else having problems? I take so long to zone now into some zones (5+ minutes) that often I just crash to desktop. I am getting pretty tired of restarting this game and waiting the nearly 10 minutes from clicking the Icon until I can actually get into the game.
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Realm: Black Desert Online
Record: http://newoutriders.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tundrra
http://newoutriders.org/member/Tundrra
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004
Recruited SWG 12.12.2003 by Baron Brambt

Re: Anyone else nervous about Free To Play?

Post by Tundrra »

I know my zone times can be a little slow, maybe a full minute:( I blame it on my processor speed. My only nervousness about f2p is the larger amount of younger players that might not have the maturity levels to play a mmo:( general chat is bad enough as is and we are on a RP server that normally has a little more control.

On the flip side I have a good feeling we will see some returning members and I'm sure we will find a handful of good recruits:)
Tundrra TT:TableTop
*NOR/LD-High Council
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Talolan »

Tundrra wrote:I know my zone times can be a little slow, maybe a full minute:( I blame it on my processor speed. My only nervousness about f2p is the larger amount of younger players that might not have the maturity levels to play a mmo:( general chat is bad enough as is and we are on a RP server that normally has a little more control.

On the flip side I have a good feeling we will see some returning members and I'm sure we will find a handful of good recruits:)
Its been my experience that fewer young people play F2P games, because they still believe in the old belief that F2P = low quality. That simply isn't the case anymore, but idiot teenagers are always the last to catch on.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Zyera
Lady
Lady
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: newoutriders.org/member/Zyera

Post by Zyera »

I'm not too nervous. :) Oj helped me upgrade my computer so I should lag that much anymore!
Lady & Realm Leader | GW2 - Zyera.4835 | SWTOR - Keywork Legacy

Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Post by Roxanne »

Gil, I can only see it as a GOOD thing! And Talo's right, Younger people seem to have already dismissed SWTOR. So, the ones coming back will be the "good" players! At least, that's what I'm gonna keep believeing! I'm excited for it, to be honest with you.
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Gilen
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT

Post by Gilen »

I apologize, I didn't mean to disparage the hope that it would bring some old (and new) members back to the branch. I am only concerned with what the added population will do to the already squealing servers. But then some of that might be my computer as well, being that it is 8 years old. I am looking at upgrading it to get rid of that as a possible issue. But I just do not have a good record of the game running smoothly anymore. My frame rate is crap in a group, my load times are WAY out there (and that is assuming I do not crash to desktop while trying to zone) and I already have to fight rather rude folks for resources and quest parts. Yeah its the same in any game. But it was not nearly this bad before I switched to Ebon Hawk. (Though if I had not, I would never have rediscovered my Guild so that more than makes up for alot) <shrug> I will just have to wait and see how it goes. I just hope they (the powers that be) have something in place to handle it and do not just allow more players to be dropped on the servers without increasing their potential output.
ryverwynd
Baron
Baron

Post by ryverwynd »

I am looking forward to logging back in. I'll try to remember to post back here and mention my zone times. Though, I expect it will vary based on zone and time of day.

Gilen, would you mind listing a zone or two, time of day and day of week so I can see about getting comparable info for you? Or anyone else can as well :)
Zyera
Lady
Lady
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: newoutriders.org/member/Zyera

Post by Zyera »

Gil, I also may think you might need to upgrade your computer a little. I used to have terrible lag issues.
Now that Oj helped upgrade my computer a bit, I haven't had any lag issues.
Also is your graphics up too high? Turning them down helps a lot.
Lady & Realm Leader | GW2 - Zyera.4835 | SWTOR - Keywork Legacy

Return to “Cantina”