Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Pilot Tactics

Post by Lasarian »

Targeting

Movement

Protecting Your Ass

Weapon Groups

How you deal with your opponents will obviously depend on your Mech and theirs, but I can offers some advice should you find yourself one on one.

First, look for your teammates and draw the enemy toward them.

If you are in anything other than a Light and are up against a Light, you can forget outmaneuvering them. Aim for the legs to slow them down, it's really the only chance you have. They don't have a lot of armor, but can literally run circles around you, and they will. Don't leave the Heavies alone with these guys, the Lights will "leg" them out.

Hunchbacks - a Medium mech with a pretty big liability hanging largely on its right shoulder. Most of their weapons are there, anywhere from 3-6 of them. Take out that bulging Right Torso and they are largely disarmed.

Catapults - a lot of these, and Atlas too, are being used as so-called "LRM Boats" - that's just a mech with as many Long Range Missiles they can cram onto it so they can fire from 1,000m or more away. CLOSE quickly - the LRMs aren't as effective at close range and will often just bounce around or overshoot you entirely. Don't underestimate those Cats though, they are Heavy Mechs, have a lot of armor and Jumpjets! Much like the Hunchs though, their primary armament is pretty obviously protruding on either side of the cockpit. Take out those shoulders!

Centurions - my own Mech weight and class. We can be pretty quick on our feet and have a decent amount of armor. Most are vulnerable in their right arm - where the primary weapon is. Take that out. The left arm can't even equip a weapon so don't waste your time on it.

Awesome and Atlas - the Assault weights, what can I say? Remember the Onyxia fights on WoW? "You don't want to be able to see both of her eyes?" The last place you want to be is head on with one of these guys. Resist the urge to engage immediately and position for a better angle, on their flanks, or ideally at their back. I don't bother trying to get cute taking out arms or legs with these dudes, they are pretty slow moving anyway and they have weapons everywhere. I try to maneuver behind and tear at where the armor is weakest.

Conning percentages of targets, like 100% or 71% etc., can be deceptive. For example, in taking out an Atlas, if you tear away at the armor in the back and hit something vital, down they go ... sometimes at 50% or more. It just depends on what you hit. Sometimes though the little buggers are still up and running at 14 or 10%.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD

Return to “MechWarrior Online”