Star Citizen is free to play through Oct 30th!

Aglavalin
Knight
Knight
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
House: Unicorn

Star Citizen is free to play through Oct 30th!

Post by Aglavalin »

Hi all,

I'm back with the current news on Star Citizen, the best looking game ever!

Two weeks ago we had the annual CitizenCon for Star Citizen in Hollywood and I was lucky enough to be one of the volunteers helping it happen. Everyone attending had an awesome time. Here is a 30 minute trailer that was shown during the show. It shows off the current and future tech in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCFTF8j7yI

Notable timestamps:

3:00 Sample spaceship flight begins
14:00 Firefight while driving in URSA offroad attack vehicle
16:00 Finding a Dragonfly (speederbike) and riding it across the sand
23:00 Assaulting a crashed capital ship being used as a sand nomad (Sand People) base.

There are quite a few other great items in the video if you take the time to watch it. The sandworm (as in Dune) at the end is incredible! This video is showing off the procedurally generated planets and can get a little slow at times as it shows off the size and detail of the planet.

The game takes elements of design and gameplay from every scifi genre you could think of. Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Alien, Blade Runner, Starship Troopers, 2001, and almost any other movie you could want. So there is something there for everyone to recognize and feel at home with.

So what is Star Citizen you may ask.

Star Citizen is an open sandbox space simulator which is made up of more than one game. There is Star Citizen proper, which is more or less a traditional MMO. But there are no classes, no xp, no grinding other than earning money in the game. And there are lots of ways to do that to suit everyone's play style. The game is skill based. It is up the player to gather the items they want to use, and learn how to use those items well. If you are a good enough of a pilot, you can take a small basic ship and beat ships much bigger and badder than you are. Pilot skill is very important. But there will be other things besides piloting to do in the game. Professions are coming soon! Haul cargo, explore for new planets, become a pirate, or a bounty hunter, etc.

Squadron 42 is the first person shooter portion, which has a full story and is where the actors and motion capture are used. Such as some guy named Mark Hammil you may of heard of. He is your flight instructor, and main character, while you learn how to fly spaceships!

There is a sub-game called Arena Commander where you can play short games solo or with others, such as racing a space ship around a track through a floating city, or Battle Royale where up to 16 pilots in a large arena in an asteroid field fight it out one against all! There is a capture the flag game, fight an alien swarm, as well as just free flight area to learn how to fly with no one watching!

Another sub-game called Star Marine is coming out within the next month or so. It is the FPS game where we can team up and fight each other without fear of death penalties. This is where the PvPers will spend a lot of time!

Starting today, and running through the end of October, there is a FreeFly trial going on. This means anyone can download and play the game for free. Simply make an account, download the game, and go for it!

To get started and make an account use this link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enli ... -BQW5-ZMTJ
It will get you some extra starting game currency and me a referral. Not that big of a deal but everything helps. If you already made an account, don't worry about it.

The game is crowd funded and open development. So by purchasing the game, you are helping to get it made. There are a couple hours of video created every week showing us what is happening and coming up. It is quite something to see how the game is being made.

If you do want to purchase the game, then I recommend getting the full game package for $60 which includes the games listed above. There is more than one starter package and it can be confusing. The Aurora MR combo pack is the best rounded ship for a new player.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pled ... n-42-Combo

Until the game launches, or maybe when beta starts, we can donate more towards game development and be rewarded with a ship upgrade to a bigger ship, or to add additional ships to your account. Some people have dozens of ships and have helped fund the game development quite a bit. This is optional. There is no monthly fee and we can play the game forever without spending any more money beyond having some type of game package.

Feel free to come watch me play the game on twitch.tv at https://www.twitch.tv/stoutman_pr where I stream Sunday through Thursdays starting at 7PM PST. I may stream some today or tomorrow, not sure yet. I also tweet out when I am starting to stream @stoutman_pr so follow if you would like. Send me a PM on twitter if you want to get a hold of me, tis the best way. I would be more than happy to show anyone who installs the game how to fly and have some fun. The multiplayer in this game is great! The player community is the best I have ever seen in any game! Friendly as can be :) I think NOR is an excellent fit for this game.

If you are a fan of the old SWG like I am, or enjoy SWTOR, then Star Citizen should definitely appeal to you!

Here are a couple screenshots I have taken in the game so you can see what it is like.

Hope to see a bunch of you trying this game out. It is going to be next generation game, leaving all other game developers trying to catch up for years.

Yours in NOR,

Aglavalin
Last edited by Aglavalin on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alumni of: NWN, The Realm, Shadows of Yserbius, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Asheron's Call 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Faldon, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxy, Lord of The Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Neverwinter, Rift, Elder Scrolls Online, plus more that I can't recall...
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Realm: Black Desert Online
House: Griffon
Record: http://newoutriders.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tundrra
http://newoutriders.org/member/Tundrra
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004
Recruited SWG 12.12.2003 by Baron Brambt

Re: Star Citizen is free to play through Oct 31st!

Post by Tundrra »

We have several Overwatch players right now so a nice mmo FirstPersonShooter may draw some interest:)
Tundrra TT:TableTop
*NOR/LD-High Council
Aglavalin
Knight
Knight

Re: Star Citizen is free to play through Oct 30th!

Post by Aglavalin »

The FPS in Star Citizen is going to be very good. The animations and detailed use of cover allows for all kinds of skills to develop a detailed style.

I play more pvp in this game than I have ever played in any game. It's rather fun in fact :)
Alumni of: NWN, The Realm, Shadows of Yserbius, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Asheron's Call 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Faldon, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxy, Lord of The Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Neverwinter, Rift, Elder Scrolls Online, plus more that I can't recall...
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004

Post by Tundrra »

I made this a global announcement and posted it on facebook:)

How do we find you in game Agla?
*NOR/LD-High Council
Aglavalin
Knight
Knight

Post by Aglavalin »

F11 will bring up your contact list in the game, hangar, or main menu. There you can add people to your contact list. When they add you back, you can see each other on the instance list when you are going into the universe. I am streaming most of the time when I play lately, but that will change when they add more content in the 3.0 patch which I hope will be on the live server by January.

The next 2.6 alpha patch will add new content too, but we are not sure how much yet.

My game handle is Stoutman so add me with that name. The easiest way to get in contact with me is to come into chat when I am streaming twitch.tv/Stoutman_PR , or to send a private message via Twitter @stoutman_pr and be sure to mention NOR so I switch to the proper thought mode right away! LOL

I decided to not use the Agalvalin name as it is a nightmare for people to try to pronounce and streaming is very verbal, with in-game chat coming soon too. I do not want to hear everyone trying to hail me via ship to ship comms and never getting the name right. And while streaming, eww! That would be a mess.
tornnomar
Duke
Duke
Realm: Guild Wars 2
Record: I joined.
And am never leaving.
Knighted, Dec. 21, 2015
Baron, Jan. 31, 2016
Count, Oct 15, 2017
And I can't even count:)

Post by tornnomar »

Oh Wow! That video is incredible!
"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -Mark Twain
"Chuck Norris CAN divide by zero"
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Record: Recruited by Zyera
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

I can't seem to update... it'll go for about 5 minutes then it'll drop off and completely stop downloading until I pause it and restart it after 10 or so minutes.

SWTOR - Witherbane Legacy
GW2 - Valikk.3810
Aglavalin
Knight
Knight

Post by Aglavalin »

You may want to choose a different download speed. You will probably have to close the launcher and reopen it to get the new speed to be effective. The launcher is not the best but does work. They are working on an updated version which we hope will be available soon!

Were you running the launcher with administrator privileges? Microsoft seems to require them more now but wont run the programs that way be default. Oh so user friendly. Sorry, I used to love MS but now I just hate them LOL

Is a firewall or antivirus blocking it?
Valikk
Duke
Duke
Record: Recruited by Zyera
Recruit - 04/22/2012
Squire - 07/29/2012
Knight - 05/21/2013
DMG; KP - 07/20/2013
Champion - 10/24/2013
DMG; DM - 03/19/2014
Baron - 03/19/2014
Count - 07/24/2016
Duke - 10/10/2017

Post by Valikk »

Aglavalin wrote:You may want to choose a different download speed. You will probably have to close the launcher and reopen it to get the new speed to be effective. The launcher is not the best but does work. They are working on an updated version which we hope will be available soon!

Were you running the launcher with administrator privileges? Microsoft seems to require them more now but wont run the programs that way be default. Oh so user friendly. Sorry, I used to love MS but now I just hate them LOL

Is a firewall or antivirus blocking it?
Got it updated! Yeah I needed to lower the download speed. :thumb Thanks for the help!

:hailnor

SWTOR - Witherbane Legacy
GW2 - Valikk.3810
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004

Post by Tundrra »

I was able to log in this weekend:)

But I was having some issues:( my text was super small and unreadable. And I was only able to get into the flight portion of the game. I was hoping for the FPS stuff.

The game is beautiful though and a very submersive experience, I just don't know what I'm doing:p
*NOR/LD-High Council

Return to “Star Citizen”