Online Roster - Member Profiles

Roster version updates, FAQ and Tutorials.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Re: Online Roster

Post by Lasarian »

Gilen wrote:Looks awesome! Especially with the mouse-overs to show what each award is for. Will you be able to do them for the ribbons as well?
Should be already, was it not telling you which ribbon is which on mouseover?
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Seyella
Countess
Countess

Post by Seyella »

That looks really awesome, Las! :thumb :yay
Seyella/Callise
*NOR/

Numerous toons in several games (WoW, GW2, ESO, SWTOR, etc) . .
Ojike
Baron
Baron
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruit: 06/21/04
Squire: 09/18/04
Squire Honor: 05/17/06
Squire Elite: 06/11/06

Post by Ojike »

That looks amazing Las! Great job!
Ojike *NOR/GR
"For, as a wise man once said: An error doesn't become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it."
-John F Kennedy
Roxanne
Lady
Lady
Realm: Overwatch
House: Unicorn
Record: Recruited and Squired in TSOY Junish 1994
Recruited by Naquav
Promoted to Lady in May 1995
Married to Duke Zif in game, Feb 1996
Married to Lord Zif IRL April 21, 2000

Post by Roxanne »

Amazing job, Las! This will be a God send for the future and now for officers keeping track of their members!
Roxanne
*NOR/LE
Wife of ZiF
Zyera
Lady
Lady
Realm: Final Fantasy XIV
Record: newoutriders.org/member/Zyera

Post by Zyera »

It looks awesome! :) Great Job Las!
Lady & Realm Leader | GW2 - Zyera.4835 | SWTOR - Keywork Legacy

Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Re: Online Roster - Member Profiles

Post by Lasarian »

I have updated the sample page to include a few requested additions and changes. There were so many, in fact, I had to shrink the images on the display a bit and add another row!

Member Profile.

I have also put up a few additional pages:

Ranks
This page shows all of the ranks symbols and a bit by way of explanation. I had made a basic version of this page, but made a few changes and additions at Zyera's suggestion.

Ribbons
This page just shows the ribbons one acquires for each game you have played with NOR.

Medals
This is a list of all the medals and awards available, with a bit of an explanation to go along with them. I haven't looked too close recently, it may be incomplete or have repetition in there from editing. I re-added the "First HC Meeting Attendance Award", formerly known as the Writ of Welcome, and made a few other changes as well, mostly cosmetic.

I've had a lot of feedback on the Awards - 99% of it positive, offering suggestions for other awards, altering the appearance of some, providing more detailed information about the existing one's, proposing new ones. It is quite the list actually.

I want everyone to know, those that posted, PM'd, or emailed, I read every word and consider each suggestion. If something you suggested or proposed does not appear atm, that doesn't mean it was disregarded, it just means I either haven't had time or would like to wait until the system is implemented before making additional changes, or it was similar to another suggestion and I am working out some way to merge the two ... or three ...

The only detractor (thus far) to this scheme cites that it is overly complex, difficult to track and too restrictive. I was informed that the previous system was deliberately vague so as to allow individual branch leaders or officers to create or embellish their own awards for their individual members. He did concede that the art was nice (which I appreciated), but expressed some concerns over the bookkeeping aspect, which I feel I have addressed with the Online Roster.

There was also a question of "Custom" awards, which I believe he feels to be in keeping with the original intent. At the time I saw very little way of doing this within the system I have devised; however, even as it is right now, one could enter a "custom" award, or anything else for that matter, into a Member's history manually.

Upon further consideration though, I now think that a more robust customization scheme could be devised and could be integrated into the current award system - although that would take some doing and would not be ready in time for the update.

For my part, this began as a minor "giggle" factor that was almost an afterthought. I am rewarded by the level of interest and contribution thus far from numerous members. That alone makes this worthwhile to me.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Talolan »

Lasarian wrote:The only detractor (thus far) to this scheme cites that it is overly complex, difficult to track and too restrictive. I was informed that the previous system was deliberately vague so as to allow individual branch leaders or officers to create or embellish their own awards for their individual members. He did concede that the art was nice (which I appreciated), but expressed some concerns over the bookkeeping aspect, which I feel I have addressed with the Online Roster.
With a standardized set of awards, I think that is a challenge that is easy to overcome. Looking through your awards, the following awards should be very easy to manage from here on out:
-Venerable Order of Yserbius
-Silver Star Burst (especially with the "recruiter" section on your roster)
-Founders Medal
-Silver Gavel
-Good Conduct Award/Meritorious Service/Distinguished Service/HC Distinguished Service
-New Member of the Year
-Member of the Year
-Officer of the Year
-First Generation
-Second Generation
-Third Generation
-NOR Marriage
-NOR Baby
-Basher

In fact, if you don't have a set process for managing those that need active management, I will write one and submit it to the HC for consideration.

More nebulous awards:
-Golden Aldobora Tree
-Heart of the Purple Dragon
-NOR Commendation Medal
-Meritorious Achievement Medal (Barony, County, Duchy)

At their core, these awards are all essentially the same thing, the only difference is the scope.
Lasarian wrote:There was also a question of "Custom" awards, which I believe he feels to be in keeping with the original intent. At the time I saw very little way of doing this within the system I have devised; however, even as it is right now, one could enter a "custom" award, or anything else for that matter, into a Member's history manually.
I think custom awards would be a nightmare to manage, and would lead to issues of "fairness" across games.
Lasarian wrote:Upon further consideration though, I now think that a more robust customization scheme could be devised and could be integrated into the current award system - although that would take some doing and would not be ready in time for the update.
Most of the "custom" awards I can think of, would fall into the scope of the nebulous awards I listed above. I think an easier to manage solution would be to award NOR Commendation Medals instead of custom awards, and then add an entry for the reason for the commendation.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

I agree with pretty much everything you said here Talo, the only reason I gave more thought to the custom option was so as to not dismiss the notion out of hand. I think it could be done - within reason, and would not be cumbersome and might even be fun.

Not for nothing, but it would also provide a venue for easily adding or altering Awards should need arise in the future.

The key of course would be to place some limits on its use, or you're right, the fairness issue would surface quickly if one Branch Leader was creating a new award once a day and issuing it to everyone in his or branch and instead of a few distinct awards for specific things, we had a few hundred awards for every little thing - they would become rather cheaply held.

Gil had mentioned, and I think you did also Talo, of some mechanism of recommendation to issue an award going up the CoC. I think that is a good idea, because it puts who and what and why in writing so that we can refer to it and provides particulars and specifics I believe we all want. I think some of these awards the Branch Leaders or some officers should be able to issue, while others I would reserve for the HC only.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Gil had suggested having distinct Bash awards by event and a variant for attendee and host. It wasn't only Gil, for that matter, a few others suggested each Bash gets its own appearance or variant on the award. I put together a quick example here:

Attendee:

Host:

There's also some talk about the rarity for a few of these, like the Marriage and Baby awards, and while originally these were more tongue-in-cheek I hadn't expected anyone to take seriously, we could come up with another award that would cover similar RL events like these that might be available to more members. It also has the virtue of taking up less real estate on the Profile. I don't know what to call it, the "NOR Legacy Award" or something - that would cover marriages, kids, other things? As long as we have committed to offer variants of a single medal (which we have), we can just as well offer more of them.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Talolan »

Lasarian wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you said here Talo
That's going in my scrap book.

Nice work on the profile page. I forgot to include that in my previous post.
Lasarian wrote:There's also some talk about the rarity for a few of these, like the Marriage and Baby awards, and while originally these were more tongue-in-cheek I hadn't expected anyone to take seriously, we could come up with another award that would cover similar RL events like these that might be available to more members. It also has the virtue of taking up less real estate on the Profile. I don't know what to call it, the "NOR Legacy Award" or something - that would cover marriages, kids, other things? As long as we have committed to offer variants of a single medal (which we have), we can just as well offer more of them.
I would like to see a memorial award, and a profile page for each member on the memorial wall on the old site.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.

Return to “Online Roster”