Online Roster, the Basics - Preview

Roster version updates, FAQ and Tutorials.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Online Roster, the Basics - Preview

Post by Lasarian »

There have been some questions about the complexity ... or "over-complexity" of the Online Roster, specifically as it relates to keeping and maintaining information on the members. The point of this, of course, is to make the work of keeping a Roster easier, not harder.

First, we need to keep the information secure. To that end, anyone authorized to make changes to the Roster will require a login and password. We will save sessions, so you don't necessarily have to re-login every time to return to make a change.

Once you are logged in you will be presented with the Roster, much like it is here. You can select an individual member to edit from the main roster page or from their individual Member Profile (which I talked about in another post). So if Tundrra wanted to look at just the members of SWTOR, he selects the "By Game:" filter, and only those members playing on SWTOR will appear on the Roster. From there, he can easily select an individual Member if he needs to. By default the Roster will only show the members on games that are currently active, but you will be able to filter for closed realms as well.

This is the basic Editing page for authorized users. You will see all of the information current stored in the database in their appropriate fields. You can make the most common changes from this page, such as a change in player status, from Active to MIA or a promotion. Select the appropriate drop down menu and choose what has changed or use the shortcut buttons (like Promote or Demote), or Today, which will enter the current date.

In this example, you can see that to grant a member an Award, you need simply go to the Awards section and select which award they are being given.

Any changes you make to the Edit page will automatically be logged into their history, showing the date of the change, which Realm it occurred on and provide a description. If the change is an Award, for example, that graphic will also appear on the Member Profile page automatically. This is showing the Edit History page which allows you to edit individual lines of a member's History if needed. However, most of the Roster functions will appear in the History automatically once you update the member's information. There will be no need to list each promotion, transfer, LOA, or anything else individually anymore - the Roster will do that for you.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Gilen
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT

Re: Online Roster, the Basics - Preview

Post by Gilen »

Is there any way to keep track of who made the change and list that on the transaction page? In other similar types of systems I have always found that someone inevitably asks "who did that?" Even if that info does not display on the transaction page, it would be good to keep a record of that just in case.

And I am not so sure it is a good idea to be able to delete a record. Make a new change back to what it was before is fine, but keep the transactional records just the same.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Gilen wrote:Is there any way to keep track of who made the change and list that on the transaction page? In other similar types of systems I have always found that someone inevitably asks "who did that?" Even if that info does not display on the transaction page, it would be good to keep a record of that just in case.
Yeah, we're keeping a log, just not showing it. Who made the change, to which record and when.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Tundrra
Lord
Lord
Realm: Black Desert Online
Record: http://newoutriders.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tundrra
http://newoutriders.org/member/Tundrra
Lord HC 04.06.2014
Squired SWG 03.21.2004
Recruited SWG 12.12.2003 by Baron Brambt

Post by Tundrra »

This is exciting!
Tundrra TT:TableTop
*NOR/LD-High Council
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Tundrra wrote:This is exciting!
Should be ready to go soon! There's also another page we can use to enter information from the old Rosters I haven't shown here, but we'll be using the same Edit page shown here, as well as an optional page for information that no longer quite fits or doesn't easily fit into an existing category.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Talolan »

Is there a field to cross-reference their roster page with their forum profile? So if I'm looking at the roster and want to PM somebody, I can click the link to go to their forum profile?
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Gilen wrote:And I am not so sure it is a good idea to be able to delete a record. Make a new change back to what it was before is fine, but keep the transactional records just the same.
Not an entire Record, just a single line in the History and there will be a verification step before doing so. We will also have automatic, timed backups of all the data.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Talolan wrote:Is there a field to cross-reference their roster page with their forum profile? So if I'm looking at the roster and want to PM somebody, I can click the link to go to their forum profile?
No, but that's a good idea. We will have to link the user database from the forums to the roster database to get their user IDs so that would work.

What I would like, eventually, is to have one registration portal - that links the forums to the site. So when you sign up, you only have to sign up once - say, during the application stage. We're asking for the same information, we would just need to add a password field. Then, if Accepted, the member would automatically be added to both the Roster and have a User account on the forums.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Talolan »

Lasarian wrote:
Talolan wrote:Is there a field to cross-reference their roster page with their forum profile? So if I'm looking at the roster and want to PM somebody, I can click the link to go to their forum profile?
No, but that's a good idea. We will have to link the user database from the forums to the roster database to get their user IDs so that would work.

What I would like, eventually, is to have one registration portal - that links the forums to the site. So when you sign up, you only have to sign up once - say, during the application stage. Then, if Accepted, the member would automatically be added to both the Roster and have a User account on the forums.
A temporary (read: lazy) solution is just to have a text field in the roster db that takes a number. So on Pinky's roster page, the field would simply be "65." Then on the display page for the roster, you just hard code in "http://www.newoutriders.org/forums/memb ... profile&u=" throw the "65" on the end, and you've got http://www.newoutriders.org/forums/memb ... ofile&u=65

But, that is the lazy route.
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Talolan wrote:A temporary (read: lazy) solution is just to have a text field in the roster db that takes a number. So on Pinky's roster page, the field would simply be "65." Then on the display page for the roster, you just hard code in "http://www.newoutriders.org/forums/memb ... profile&u=" throw the "65" on the end, and you've got http://www.newoutriders.org/forums/memb ... ofile&u=65

But, that is the lazy route.
Yeah, I guess I was avoiding having to enter each User ID manually. But it's not that big a task, we'd just have keep up with it as new people come on.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD

Return to “Online Roster”