Online Roster, the Basics - Preview

Roster version updates, FAQ and Tutorials.
Lasarian
Lord
Lord
Realm: TableTop
House: Griffon

Re: Online Roster, the Basics - Preview

Post by Lasarian »

Zyera wrote:
Lasarian wrote:We're up to 576 entries.
x-x Oh wow. That's a lot more than I thought!
It's going to be thousands when we are done.
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Lakasha wrote:Question about the awards.. how do we get old awards added? I know in DAoC we had a whole bunch for various levels of Realm Rank defending the realm from evil.

Also with the Bash awards.. who actually gives those out? Should I? Aleena and I hosted a bash back in the DAoC days and I know we had a pretty good attendance?
I am going to make a Tutorial of a kind to help us with that.

The short answer though is under Add Optional:
  1. Add the date of the event (award)
  2. Add the realm it was given on, under either Open or Closed realms
  3. Check "Other" and write in the information
  4. Click "Add Record"
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Lakasha
Baroness
Baroness
Realm: Elder Scrolls Online
House: Unicorn
Record: Defender of Hibernia (Golden Staff) 02⁄03⁄03
Defender of Hibernia (Silver Wand) 12⁄15⁄02
Official Writ of Welcome 01⁄06⁄02
Heraldess 12⁄19⁄01
Knight 10⁄29⁄01
Squire Court 09⁄09⁄01
Squire 04⁄02⁄01
Recruit 03⁄10⁄01

Post by Lakasha »

And I assume you just repeat the same process. Is there a way to actually add awards that were given to many people so that they are part of the award list? Is this also how I would add Bash hosts etc. I assume that an award for Bash attendance could be back dated since we didn't have those as awards before?

Also the Writ of Welcome :) or did I just miss it?

ohhh and umm ponies? I always wanted a pony.
ESO
Lakasha Finvarra - Sorceress V1

Lakashal - Templar - DC Blackwater Blade AvA Campaign

*NOR/Heraldess and AvA Coordinator

I can picture a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

DDO
Lakasha Finvarra - Bard 10 The Orginal
Lakashan - Bard Warchanter - 25 - Woot!!!
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

Lakasha wrote:And I assume you just repeat the same process. Is there a way to actually add awards that were given to many people so that they are part of the award list? Is this also how I would add Bash hosts etc. I assume that an award for Bash attendance could be back dated since we didn't have those as awards before?

Also the Writ of Welcome :) or did I just miss it?

ohhh and umm ponies? I always wanted a pony.
This is why I wanted to hold off a little on awards. Over twenty years they have been made-up, fabricated, misquoted, misnamed and who knows what else - I'm not saying this is all bad, I am just saying it is a nightmare to consolidate into a single Roster keeping system. If we attempted to account for each award ever given to any member ever, we would end up with a list of 1,000 or more awards, some of them, invented for and awarded to, but a single member on one occasion, never to be used again. A good example is "Silly Goose" - awarded to Gilenrod, and only Gilenrod, 14 years ago.

There is no way to add awards to a list of many people all in one go - we aren't tracking the data in that order. That would require that we track each award individually and who it was awarded to (ie, the Silver Star Burst would have its own table on the database populated entirely by its recipients), rather than tracking the members and what awards they received - which is how it was designed. We could create some kind of a checklist, but to do that, we would have to create a list, again, all of the awards ever given.

I created the "Add Optional" fields for exactly this purpose. To include items that appear in someone's history that we have no other place for, or have no other record of, has become obsolete, or we have no idea what it is, but it appears in their roster listing - or we know exactly what it is, but it simply easier to add a custom line to one member's history rather than code for the eventually possibility.

We have not reached a consensus on the Bash awards - whether to award a single medal for attending any Bash, or to award individual medals for attending a specific Bash. As the system stands right now, it is a single award for attending any Bash.

The Writ of Welcome was not included in my original proposal to the HC, because I wanted to eliminate it. I was talked into adding some acknowledgement of attending one's first HC meeting and added the Silver Gavel medal. I still don't like it - but it's not entirely my decision of course. My reason being, and this is just picky I know, because a 'writ' isn't an award - it's a command or a compulsion;

But more than just fussing about vocabulary, I liken it to the "Getting up in the Morning Award" or "Not talking with your mouth full award" - I don't think you should get an award for something you should do anyway, but maybe I am being miserly.

I am decidedly in the minority on this one anyway though ;-pp

... and it's okay with me if you get a pony, but I'm telling you right now, I will NOT feed him or take him for walks ...
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
Gilen
Baron
Baron
Realm: RIFT

Post by Gilen »

While it will also put me in the minority, I agree with Las on the award for the first HC meeting. It is a fun thing to do in the meeting but really tracking it as an award is sort of like the ARMY's "Good Conduct" medal. As long as you don't screw up and get disciplined with something in the your first three years, you get it. Pretty much just a bar filler on your award bar.

Now Ponies on the other hand...That will take some consideration.

I can see the argument to be made for one medal for attending a Bash regardless of the bash, but think it would be worth while somehow showing someone who has attended multiple bashes. And I still think, for the amount of work that goes into one, hosting a bash should be its own separate award. But that is just my two cents.
Lakasha
Baroness
Baroness
Heraldess 12⁄19⁄01
Knight 10⁄29⁄01
Squire Court 09⁄09⁄01
Squire 04⁄02⁄01
Recruit 03⁄10⁄01

Post by Lakasha »

I know in DAoC we wrote into the DMG the criteria for receiving the various realm defense rewards but then I guess we never really gave them out to everyone who should have gotten one so..

In terms of bash attendees I guess as I start editing people I will just add that award to people I know have attended a bash somewhere. I agree with you about bahs hosting Gilen. I suppose we can also in someones history or whatever include that they hosted a bash.
ESO

DDO
Talolan
Duke
Duke
Realm: Neverwinter

Post by Talolan »

Lakasha wrote:I know in DAoC we wrote into the DMG the criteria for receiving the various realm defense rewards but then I guess we never really gave them out to everyone who should have gotten one so..

In terms of bash attendees I guess as I start editing people I will just add that award to people I know have attended a bash somewhere. I agree with you about bahs hosting Gilen. I suppose we can also in someones history or whatever include that they hosted a bash.
We gave out a lot of those RvR awards: http://newoutriders.org/wiki/index.php? ... RvR_Awards
Talolan
NOR/DK-NOMAD

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” - Dr. Seuss
Official Dungeon Master of your dreams.
Lakasha
Baroness
Baroness
Heraldess 12⁄19⁄01
Knight 10⁄29⁄01
Squire Court 09⁄09⁄01
Squire 04⁄02⁄01
Recruit 03⁄10⁄01

Post by Lakasha »

Yes we did. That was why I was wondering about putting them up on as their own award although there are several people I can think of off the top of my head that should have received those awards and didn't as well. Heck I was RR 10 when I left DAoC, think Mathais was as well or was super close.
ESO

DDO
Lasarian
Lord
Lord

Post by Lasarian »

All I can say is ... glad I don't have to enter all of those ...
Lasarian
*NOR/LE • NOMAD
HollyCNY
Ally
Ally
Record: Recruited August 1996 (NWN on AOL)
Re-Recruited SWTOR March 2013
Squired by Tundrra SWTOR April 13, 2013

Post by HollyCNY »

Lasarian wrote:... and it's okay with me if you get a pony, but I'm telling you right now, I will NOT feed him or take him for walks ...
HAHA GMTA Las :D

Anyone who remembers the "Can I Keep Him" achievement in WoW for collecting their first companion pet, every time someone in one of my guilds first got this achievement, I would say, "Yes, but you gotta feed him." :cute

Return to “Online Roster”